Ch. 1

"No, no, no! Autumn please don't leave me!" My voice cracked, desperate and pleading.

"I'm sorry; I love you," she sympathized with me.

"No! Autumn!" My clammy, trembling hands tried to find hers in the darkness. I tried to keep the wails of pure terror from leaving my lips. Her mouth opened, most likely to find words to calm my hyperventilating, but she was interrupted by a deep, raspy howl. "No, no, no," I muttered to myself under my breath. Tears were beginning to break the dam I had so carefully constructed.

More howls joined the first, surrounding us in an atmosphere of ringing cries. I looked around panicky, there had to be at least a hundred girls lined up along the tree line. If I ran away, would anyone notice? The howls grew louder, it was almost time. I started shaking violently, tears gushing now. I had to get away. Which way is which? The woods had a dead end somewhere on our property, but which side? I could take the opposite way all the way out then stall and come home. The peak of howls was beginning. How is no one else petrified?!

The howls ended abruptly, signaling us to take off. Autumn flew past me, determined and ready. Girls everywhere in the woods were laughing or smiling or just running with all their heart. I was just trying to stay with the pack and keep in my sobs.

We met the point of impact too soon. The other side of the woods, the boys, had reached the same area we had and mates were partnering up all around me. I slowed to a stop, looking around anxiously. I have no sense of direction.

My body jerked forwards, a tug that was pulled from my chest; he was close. I gulped and picked a direction, courtesy of eeny meanie miny moe. I sprinted through the trees, twigs and leaves stinging my skin and snagging my hair. My mind was sharp, my tears dried. Partners had begun their mating process all around me, nagging me from every angle. Their bodies engulfed each other, some crying, most kissing, all hugging, and a few going... further. I could feel this was wrong, running, but it was all I could do.

I deafening howl ripped through the woods. My heart stuttered; that was my mate. I was not in control of how my pace slowed, my body and soul pleading to go to my unknown mate. I just pushed through the protests put up by my own betraying flesh. My body burned, courtesy of weak human asthma. My lungs were screaming and my muscles were crying. Eventually, the littering of mates throughout the forest began to dwindle until there was no one. I slowed to a stop, trying to find where I was and catch a breath. There were no giveaways in this damn forest so I decided to just keep walking straight. Eventually, I'd end up out of the woods. My first step failed me, though, as my muscles gave out, burning from lack of oxygen. I whimpered softly, unable to take a breath. I tried to stay quiet, to catch my breath and recover my body. Moments passed by what felt like years. I rolled and cried in anguish, cursing my humanity.

My ears perked up when I heard pounding footsteps heading my way with inhuman speed. I panicked and fumbled to my feet, pushing my slightly-more-oxygenated muscles to run. Tears began to sabotage me by blinding me as my already poor eyesight drowned. I stumbled over twigs and tripped over roots. My efforts were halted when a deep, thundering growl rumbled lowly behind me. I froze in fear, my already aching lungs refusing to take a breath, my muscles so strained I could feel cramps beginning to creep their way in. Slowly, so slowly, he circled me, growling continuously. The seconds ticked by, my body screaming for something; relaxation? Oxygen? Him?

A huge wolf rounded the corner, entering my peripheral vision. He stalked me like prey, daring me to move. His fur was deep antique gold, his eyes a bright blue, burning with intensity. He walked around me slowly, still emanating low growls rumbling deep in his chest. I tried to steady my breathing but to no avail.  

When he had reached arm's length distance, I closed my eyes, trembling. I heard the sound of his shift: the bones reshaping, the fur receding, the teeth shrinking. I cringed but tried not to flinch, afraid any movement would anger him. My chestnut hair tickled my face as his hot breath fanned over me. A sob begged to break through, but I killed it before it could pass my lips. I bit my lip hard, and he growled.