The 'new' kid

The week had gone by and Ruby was still in the hospital, until today. The doctor came in, with Summer sitting on the chair and Nathan leaning against the wall.

He looked at his clipboard and smiled. "You're free to go Miss Higgins. Just don't get into any more fights."

Ruby gleamed and swung her legs out of the bed. Noah came rushing in, still in his work uniform.

"I came as fast as I could after my shift." He panted and Ruby flung her arms around him.

"I'm discharged Noah! I can come back home!"

Noah smiled and wrapped his arms around her as well. "I'm glad you are. Now, we need to get you changed."

He passed over a bag of clothes to Ruby from his duffel bag swung over his shoulder. She took the bag and ran over to the toilets.

"I'm going in to make sure she doesn't hit herself, again." Summer chuckled and ran in after her.

A few minutes later, they both emerged with Ruby holding her wrist. "I told you not to go too close to the door, you idiot."

"How was I supposed to know the door handle was right there!"

Nathan sighed and walked over, pushing them apart with arms waving around and hitting him across the face. He pulled Summer back who was mostly attempting to hit Ruby while Noah pulled back Ruby.

"Enough!" Nathan yelled at them both and they gave up in trying to get free from their hold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday came by and Ruby was in her room strutting around. "What if I don't act cool enough? What if I don't get their attention!"

"Ruby! Calm down!" Summer said as she leaned back in the desk chair. "You'll be fine. And plus, you have us right there."

Ruby sighed. "Okay, let's go and give them some of their own medicine."

She put on the blonde wig and the sunglasses to hide her eyes. She walked down the stairs and left the house, Summer and Noah walking ahead of her.

They arrived at school, and to their plan, Jade and Kate both watched Ruby enter and ran up to her.

"Hi! I'm Kate, this is Jade! Wanna be our friend?"

"Uhh, sure." Ruby said, in the most believable British accent.

"What's your name?" Kate asked, excited.

"Ruby." She replied with a grin.

"Strange, we had a friend named Ruby, but we ditched her for Emma. We were thinking of ditching her too."

Ruby pulled off the sunglasses and the wig, Jade and Kate both standing there in shock.

"Ruby?!"

"Yeah, now you know what it feels like, Emma." Ruby smiled and she propped the sunglasses on her head. "Don't come crying to me when they leave you. They're fake friends, and always will be."

Summer cheered and fist-bumped Ruby as she walked over. "That was epic Ruby! I've never seen you so savage!"

Nathan walked over and smiled. "That was awesome."

He wrapped his arms around her and for the first time, Ruby had feelings for him. Nathan smiled as she hugged him back.

"Ruby?" He whispered to her.

"Yeah?"

Nathan gulped and hung his head as he pulled out of the hug.

"W-will you... ahem..."

"I already know what you're gonna ask."

"You do?"

"Yes."

"Is that a yes to the question or yes to 'you know what I was gonna ask?"

"Both."

Nathan's eyes widen and Summer grinned. She pulled out her phone.

"Now kiss you too. You'll make the cutest couple ever."

"No! Summer, I am not-" Ruby was silenced as Nathan kissed her.

Summer squealed as she got it on camera. "This is going on the school website!"

Ruby pulled away from Nathan. "WHAT?! OH, YOU ARE SO DEAD SUMMER!"

Summer shrieked as Ruby came bolting down the corridor towards her.

Nathan smiled and leaned against the wall. "That's my girlfriend..." He said, muttering to himself.