Voice Of The Soul

Harry paced the floor of the lab restlessly. Hermione had very little time left and their chosen course of action was not a guaranteed success. She had been a constant in Harry's life for many years, and the thought of losing her broke his heart.

These thoughts were interrupted by a irritable growl from Severus. "If you intend to wear a hole in the floor with your pacing, do so in your own quarters," Severus snarled.

Harry stopped in front of the two way mirror and clasped his hands behind his back tightly. "Sorry," he muttered sheepishly. He looked through the mirror to see Hermione, sleeping fitfully on the bed while Cadence watched her. "What if this doesn't work? This could kill her."

Severus rolled his eyes. "It is not intended to kill her," he replied shortly.

"Of course it's not intended to," Harry said, anxiously. "But this is new territory. She may not survive and I can't even talk to her." He drew in a deep breath to steady himself.

"Stop whining like a child," Severus demanded, sounding angry. Neither of them noticed that Andy had stepped into the room.

"I'm not," Harry retorted stiffly. "I'm afraid of losing her. That's a natural reaction for someone who isn't so heartless."

"Don't you have a wife and child somewhere?" Severus asked with a sneer. "Perhaps you should save your emotional outbursts for them."

Before Harry could respond, Andy moved further into the room, glaring sternly at both of them. "Knock it off," Andy snapped irritably. "This isn't the time for your petty arguments. You're both worried, you just express it differently." Andy gave Harry a look of pity. "It's going to be alright," he said firmly. "Go get your family so we can get started."

Harry left without a word, casting an angry glance at Severus. Andy crossed his arms thoughtfully as he regarded Severus. "I figured that you'd be the jealous type, but I thought you'd do a better job of hiding it," Andy said.

Severus turned away, gathering the vials that he needed and tucking them into his robes. Andy, not to be deterred, walked around the table to face him again. "Harry sees her like a sister," Andy assured him. "He's completely in love with his wife and is very happy. As for Hermione, she hasn't shown interest in anybody but you."

Severus sighed in aggravation. "Let's get on with it," he growled. "She will not survive for much longer."

* $#*

The Guardians waited anxiously in a flat grassy area near the Black Lake. Harry had set up a cot for Hermione in a spot that was within the protective shade of a nearby tree. Severus and Andy approached the group looking somber.

There was a popping sound and a house-elf appeared with Hermione. The creature had managed to transport Hermione from her bed to the cot without waking Hermione. Harry thanked the house-elf and knelt next to the cot to be sure that Hermione was alright.

Jenna had obviously changed Hermione's clothing. She was wearing a simple, white dress and her feet were bare. Her toenails were painted a glittering pink. Harry looked over at Jenna with raised eyebrows. She grinned and winked at him. "No harm in being a bit dramatic," she said giggling.

"Why are we out on the lawn to administer a potion?" Ginny asked. "Is this necessary?"

"Not for the potion," Caroline said grimly. "We're on the lawn in case things go south." She looked around at the others. "Make a circle around the cot," she instructed them.

Severus approached the cot, ignoring the people surrounding him for the moment. He sat down on the edge of the cot, giving Hermione's shoulder a gentle shake to wake her. She turned and blinked at him, her face creased with pain and her breathing shallow. He held the vial of potion and tipped the contents into her mouth. He smoothed her hair away from her face and waited. Caroline moved to the other side of the cot, looking Hermione over carefully. She checked the pulse, peered into her eyes and checked the coloring of her fingertips.