08

"JEON CHAE!"

"s-seonghwa?" chae stuttered, shocked.

seonghwa immediately wrapped his arms around her. chae broke down and sobbed into seonghwa's chest.

"oh my gosh," seonghwa buried his face into her hair. "i missed you so much."

hongjoong smiled at the scene in front of him. the security guards arrived, grabbing hongjoong's arm to take him away. hongjoong wrenched his arm away, frowning at them with disapproval.

"can't you see that i'm watching this lovely reunion here?" hongjoong reprimands. "i've been trying to get them together again, and i'm here to see it. you can take me away and i will comply, but you better let me watch this lovely couple or else i'll kick you in the place where the sun don't shine."

the security guards' eyes widened at the short boy's threat, but complied anyway.

chae broke apart from seonghwa, rubbing her eyes.

"i-i don't want to go, seongie," chae whimpered.

seonghwa's heart wrenched with pain at her sadness. he patted her head and fiddled with his pocket and pulled out a two rings. chae's eyes widened as she saw them.

"what—?" she asked, but seonghwa shook his head and placed a finger on her lip.

"i know you don't want to go, chae," seonghwa muttered. he slipped a ring on his left ring finger, before slipping the other on chae's right ring finger. he held her hand tightly. "this ring is going to connect us together. we may be separated for a while, but this is a promise ring. i tells the two of us that i'll always be here, waiting for you until you come back. i'll always wait for you, chae."

at this point, she started sobbing. chae held seonghwa tightly.

"i-i love you, seonghwa." she says, unable to say anything else.

she tiptoed and kissed seonghwa's lips for the last time in a long time. seonghwa kissed her back, cupping her face and holding her tightly, not wanting to let her go. hongjoong sniffled and wiped a tear away, touched at the scene. even the security guards shedded some tears, also moved by the touching scene.

chae broke apart from seonghwa. she squeezed his hand tightly, before whispering one last 'i love you' and walked into the plane. tears streamed down seonghwa's eyes, and he could only stand there, watching chae's retreating figure. hongjoong held his friend's shoulder firmly before dragging him away.

we will meet again, chae, seonghwa thought.

i promise i'll be here.

waiting for you.