Scar

MJ hated PE.

Normally, she would just get to sit on the sidelines and read, but not today. Today, they had fitness testing. Which meant that MJ had to participate.

Better yet, they needed to do the tests with partners. Something about how 'working together makes you push yourself further', and 'having someone cheer you on boosts your morale'. Blah, blah, blah.

For MJ, it meant that she would need to ask some random person to be her partner, because she didn't have any friends.

At least, she didn't have any friends who didn't already have partners.

Peter and Ned, possibly the only people she actually liked, were always together. They sat next to each other in classes, ate lunch together, and - obviously - were partners for anything in PE.

MJ was interrupted from her brooding by a tap on her shoulder, and a voice saying, "MJ?"

MJ spun around to see Peter standing behind her, arm outstretched. "What is it, loser?"

"I was wondering if, um, you would like to be ... partners? For fitness testing?"

The question caught MJ off guard. That was ... not what she'd been expecting. "Why?" she asked, "What about Ned?"

"He's sick," Peter replied, "And since you're my friend too, and it looked like you didn't have a partner ... I decided to ask?"

When MJ didn't respond, Peter hurriedly backtracked, "B-but if you don't want to, it's fine, I can find someone else, sorry to bother you, I'll just-"

"Yeah," MJ interrupted, "I ... I'd like to be your partner. Okay."

Peter's answering smile shone like the sun.

***

"Alright, loser," MJ panted as she finished her sit-ups, "Your turn."

Peter flashed her a grin as he took his hands off of her feet, "Are you sure you don't want to do any more? I know how much you love sit-ups."

MJ lightly smacked him, letting out a short laugh, "In your dreams, Parker."

They swapped places, and Peter began to easily do sit-ups. MJ had to admit she was impressed. She hadn't pegged Peter Parker as a super athletic guy.

Glancing down, something on Peter's right calf caught MJ's attention. Examining it closer, she saw it was a peculiarly shaped scar.

"Where'd you get this?" MJ asked, gesturing to the scar.

Peter chuckled, "Oh, that's actually a pretty funny story. So, you know how I used to live with my aunt and uncle? Before he ... y'know ..."

"Yeah," MJ interrupted gently. She'd seen how his uncle's death had affected Peter; he hadn't been the same since. More serious, with a slight sadness buried in his eyes.

"Anyway," Peter continued, "One day, my uncle and I were building a LEGO Iron Man. A pretty big one; About the size of a roll of paper towels. When we were almost done, my aunt called us in for lunch. In my haste to get to the food, I tripped, and fell on Iron Man's arm. Which - for some reason - was really sharp. And ... well, I got a scar."

MJ snorted. Leave it to Peter to get a scar from a LEGO superhero.

The two chatted about random things as Peter completed his sit-ups. MJ didn't miss the fact that he'd done them all with ease.

***

After school, Peter raced over to his usual alleyway, and changed into his suit. After chucking his backpack through his bedroom window - something he could do, now that May knew about Spider-Man - Peter swung through the streets of New York, eyes peeled for crime.