The Oh Crap Moment

Authors note: I told myself I would never do this. But thank you so much to everyone. This story has reached 4K reads and I am totally shocked. I thought there would only be 50 views but oh my gosh thank you guys so much. Btw I had to make up the architecture of the slat and everything about it so please don't @ me about it ❤️. And just as a heads up....nah you'll figure it out. Enjoy 😈
________________________________
INEJ POV
After Everybody had posted up for the Night she decided to do some rounds around the slat to make sure everything was as it should be. Kaz had given the kids the room right next to his to make sure that he was close in case they needed anything.

Inej knew it was because he saw the resemblance of their situation to his own when he was younger, and he had grown fond of the two small ones. In fact he had spent 30 minutes of his time pacing and wondering aloud whether he should have them sleep in his room.

But Inej, knowing that if they had he wouldn't have slept, talked him out of it. But still Kaz insisted on keeping them close. Inej started from the bottom of the slat walking in a circle around the room, shutting off the lights and making sure the door and windows were locked.

She made her way silently up the stairs and stopped at each floor to make sure that nobody was being loud enough that she could hear them from outside the door. Inej made it to the top floor with only one pit stop where she had to forcefully tell two young recruits to shut up before they woke everyone up.

It seemed they had been loudly arguing about whether The Ice Court was possible to break into before she had stopped them. Maybe someday she would say her piece in that argument but for now she was on a mission.

There were only two rooms on the top floor, one being Kaz's and the other one a spare that the kids were currently occupying. She quietly opened the kid's door and peered in to see the kids fast asleep, cuddled up together on the single bed. Smiling softly, Inej softly shut the door again and made her way to the problem area. In this case it was Kaz's bedroom.

Opening the door she walked in and shut the door behind her with a quiet thud. Kaz was sitting at his desk, reading some paperwork and had only glanced up when she came in.

Seeing her face Kaz sighed loudly and said,"I'm fine; I need to finish this plan so I can lay it out for the group. Some people need to be able to see it before doing it."

She gave him an unimpressed expression and pointed at the bed. "Go to sleep. It's bedtime."

"I don't have a bedtime."

"You do now. The plan can wait until the morning."

"So can sleep!" Kaz protested. Inej blew air out of her nose, and started to pull on Kaz's arm urging him to get up.

He did so begrudgingly and let out a huff when she quickly pushed him down onto the bed. She laughed and fell down beside him, snorting when the springs creaked from their combined weight. Kaz went to get up again only to be met with Inej grabbing the collar of his white button down and pulling him back down.

He looked at her and saw her smiling at him but looking at him with a stubborn gleam in her eye. Kaz sighed and settled down wrapping his arms around Inej and giving her a look.

"Who's going to turn the light off?" Kaz asked her. Inej sat up a little and threw one of the two pillows at the lightswitch. The switch flipped and the lights shut off as she lay back down.

Kaz laughed softly and said,"Now who's going to get the pillow?"

"We only need one. Two pillows are for rich people." Inej grumbled and scooted the pillow over so they each could have half.