01 - Idiot

[A/N] I welcome you and I hope you like the first chapter. I'd be very happy if you could give me a feedback on the length of it. If it's too long or too short or alright... Thank you! :)

Your gaze darted cautiously over the quiet train tracks flooded by rust like orange light that was all too familiar to you. One of the tall lanterns was flickering now and then.

In the shadow the junction box was throwing you pulled the black hood further over your face to cover your eyes almost completely.

The black face mask hiding the bottom half of your face felt warn against your skin from your steady breath. Completely motionlessly you further on starred into the direction where four big allegedly empty cargo trains grew high into the night sky.

Finally, you recognized a flashlight beam creeping along the wall of the train at the very left. Your heartbeat sped up, but you tried to concentrate on your even breathing until you could hear footsteps on the gravel.

Immediately you ducked your head and pressed your back against the junction box. Your hands clung to the black sports back you carried over your shoulder while you listened closely. The steps came closer. Adrenaline pumped through your veins and you loved every second of it.

It didn't even take two minutes for the steps to be as close as if the person stood directly next to you. In just that moment you moved. Like a panther you sneaked in the opposite direction around the box. As you saw the light beam you hesitated a second but then scurried around the corner, immediately holding your breath. Your eyes wide open you starred into the night.

The guard had passed you.

You could hear his steps departing slowly and started breathing again. Before approaching the trains, you once again turned to shoot a gaze towards the slowly into the darkness disappearing silhouette of the guard. A grin formed under your mask and you pulled it down to inaudibly form the word "idiot" with your still bruised lips from yesterday.

Then you stepped behind the first train.

The cold metal of the spray felt refreshing as equally as exiting in your hand. For a second you admire the pleasing look of it in your grip. As if it belonged there all along. Then you rose it above your head.

In a flowing motion you draw a black curve onto the red underground being the train wall. You shook the can hearing the well-known rattling and clicking that rang in your ears before picking up where you left off.

Still adrenaline rushed through your entire body and you couldn't hold back a small laughter. Maybe it was more of a giggle. The giggle of a child on Christmas when they see all the presents. The thought of that made you laugh even more but you successfully tried to keep it down. The feeling of freedom flooded through you when you took out another can out of your bag. Dark green. Dark softwood forest green.

The satisfaction putting its arms around your body when you sprayed the new color left you with a warm frisson on your skin hidden under the thick fabric of your black hoodie.

You were so taken in by the beautiful color combination of red and green that you didn't hear footsteps behind the train approaching. They were steps of multiple people that seemed to move rather fast but cautious at the same time. Not until the unmistakably sound of a spray can being shaken echoed to your ear you froze. And it was only then that you realized that you were not alone anymore. And you knew, that might be ending in an uphill battle.

Originally you had planned to take your time with the piece you were making but now you had other plans. Nervously and as fast as possible you stuffed the two cans back in between the layers of fabric in your back that would prevent the metallic cans to make a sound when you were moving the back.
Forcing yourself to walk carefully to not make loud sounds on the gravel you hurried to get to the back of the train where you knew a steel latter went up all the way to the train's roof.  Without hesitation you pulled yourself up the cold staves until you reached its highest point. From there you pressed your body closely to the train's roof, crawling slowly towards the clicking and rattling of several cans.