9 - Tully Plays Guitar

Sunday, July 199x

On Sunday morning, five of us wake up in Felice's house, the three of us, Spike, Felice and I, plus two. Felice got Tully to drive us home and insisted on bringing Len with her. Axel is away on a business trip, something else my parents don't know.

"I've to get back," Len says when he's polished off a mug of coffee. "The lads are going to the beach today."

"We'll come too," Felice says. "Tully will drop us over, won't you?"

"Sure," Tully replies with a smile. "I'm not doing anything else."

"I see you brought an entourage," Mac says to Len when we all pile out of the car in front of the house. It looks bigger in the bright sunlight, without all the party-goers. "Baz still isn't here."

"Relax, it's Sunday," Len says soothingly. "He'll be down later. He won't miss the rehearsal tonight."

"Jenna has him under her thumb, " Mac grumbles. "Jesus, I thought he'd a bit more spunk than that. She must have something he's not telling us about." He grins at Felice and I as the rest of the band chuckle. "But I sure as hell can't see what it is."

"Don't mind Mac," Len winks at us. "He didn't get much sleep last night."

Mac laughs and punches Len's shoulder. "I wasn't the only one, eh?"

Mac throws his towel into the back of the van and the rest of the band jump in. Felice and I watch Len climb in to the middle seat beside Mac. I wish I could be sitting there instead. There's no sign of the blonde girl today. It's just the band and us. Felice doubtless wishes she was in the van too. Instead we're stuck with Tully in his mother's car.

"Do you think they mind us tagging along?" Tully asks as we follow the van out of Drimshanra towards the coast.

"Why would they?" Felice shrugs.

"Well, you know, Mac wasn't too happy back there."

"Yeah, but that was to do with Baz and rehearsals. And Len says he's like that, always going off on one. Don't worry, the beach is for chilling, the more the merrier. Anyway, it's Sunday and there's nothing else to do."

I say nothing. Arguing with Felice is never a good idea, but I wonder if she's right. Mac didn't tell us not to come, but he didn't exactly make us welcome either.

"All that matters is we're going too," Spike says. "You didn't want to be left behind, did you?" 

He's right as usual.

It's always seemed so dreary before, this beach, silent and grey, windswept and desolate, stinking of seaweed drying out along the tideline, but today it's beautiful, sunshine, sparkling water and waves crashing with just enough force to be fun. 

I never normally want to go into the water, but, for once, I can't resist the lure and am beckoned towards it. I take off my docs, roll up my skirt and wade out into the water, glad my legs are shaved . 

Spike remains behind. He doesn't do wet, but Felice plunges in, wearing a fluorescent high-cut bikini she got in London. I watch as Mac eyes her ample curves, wishing I'd brought a swimsuit, though I usually prefer to be covered up.

My clothes give a clear message.

Keep your distance.

I get hassled anyway. More than you'd think. It's what happens to the female of the species.

Showing off to Mac though, that would be different.  Maybe next time, I'll bring my black bikini.

Len has stripped down to a pair of long, faded beach shorts and Felice is laughing and yelling as he splashes her with water.