Chapter 13

Chapter 13

WAKING UP ON the morning of the twenty-eighth, Aspen immediately felt a smile growing on her lips despite the alarm waking her up as she turned to her side, eyes landing on the man sleeping to her right and the little girl in between them. Shutting off the alarm, Aspen put her phone back on the bedside table before propping herself up on her shoulder, looking down at her sleeping daughter, curls that matched her father's all over the place.

"Luna," Aspen murmured, fingers pushing back her hair. She could feel Calum stirring in his sleep as well, tattooed left arm thrown over his eyes as he gently moved. "Hey, birthday girl. Time to wake up."

Luna stirred, her eyebrows furrowing together yet eyes remaining closed, and Aspen let out a breathless laugh when she turned to press herself into Calum's bare side, her arm spread across his bare torso as much as it could. The smile on Aspen's face grew as Calum crawled out of his slumber, arm lifting from his eyes as his fingers lazily raked through his hair to push them back before it came down to wrap around Luna.

"Baby," Aspen let out a light laugh, trying not to acknowledge her heart melting at the sight in front of her. This wasn't the first time the three of them were in bed together—ever since she and Calum got back together a week or so ago—but it still made Aspen feel warm and fuzzy and all the good fucking things. Her fingers teased Luna's stomach, trying to pull her from Calum's side. "You gotta wake up, bub. Time to get ready for school."

Luna mumbled sleepily, incoherently, whining her displeasure and Aspen chuckled, especially when Luna tried to bury herself in Calum's side once again. "Come on, bub. I'll make you some birthday waffles, yeah?" Luna frowned sleepily and Aspen's gaze flickered to Calum, who was now awake and whose tired, brown eyes were on her. He smiled at her sleepily, cheeks flushed and adorable, and Aspen shot him a look as she pulled herself up from the bed. "Get her up, yeah? I'm gonna make her breakfast."

Calum nodded, his hand lifting and using a single finger to motion Aspen towards him in a come hither gesture. Aspen smiled, carefully leaning over Luna as Calum lifted himself up slightly to meet Aspen's lips in a soft, quick morning kiss.

Leaving the bed, Aspen tied her hair up into a bun and used the bathroom before going to the kitchen to get started on Luna's breakfast, putting on a pot of coffee for her and Calum. A smile was on her face, her heart light at the fact that it was her daughter's fifth birthday. For five years Aspen's been blessed with her little one, and it was just so wonderfully exciting and, well, emotional.

Not to mention this was Calum's first birthday with her, so it made things all the more heart warming.

By the time the waffles were done, Calum was entering the kitchen in nothing but a pair of pajama pants with Luna settled on his hip, Duke's paws clattering on the floor as he followed them since Calum had brought the little dog over after asking Aspen's permission. It was Friday, technically Calum's day with Luna, but Aspen told him to sleep over so they could start Luna's birthday with him—which Calum had appreciated.

Placing the plate in front of a seated Luna, Aspen cupped her daughter's cheeks before pressing kisses all over her face, smiling when Luna giggled. "Happy, happy, happy birthday, bubba," Aspen bubbled happily. "You're such a big girl now!"

Calum grinned, fond and adoring as he kissed the top of Luna's head. "Excited for your party tonight?"

Luna nodded enthusiastically, all signs of sleep washing away as her green eyes lit up at the mention of her party. "Yeah!" She looked at both of her parents. "Ice cream cake?"

Aspen chuckled as Calum walked around to the coffee maker, pouring the drink into two cups. "Yes, ma'am," she assured as Calum handed her a cup.

The two of them joined Luna at the table as she happily ate her waffles. Looking at Aspen, Calum checked, "So I'm pickin' up the cake from Berkley's after goin' to the airport, right?"