Introduction

The cries of a newborn baby filled the air as another life was brought into the world

The cries of a newborn baby filled the air as another life was brought into the world. Emily Anne Wallen. She was the same as all other babies, tiny and cute, with big brown eyes and jet black hair. She just had wings. The feathers were the same colour as her hair and they folded neatly to rest behind her. No one was really concerned, she was healthy and seemed to be happy. The doctors just told her mother to take her home and give her a semi-normal life. So they did.

It was a few months later that they hit some bumps. Emily had grown and developed like a normal child, her wings just stayed the same. Then, she needed special slits to be made in the back of her outfits and many of her small jackets had compartments to fit her wings. She couldn't go to day care like all the other kids, so her mother had to be with her at all times.

When she turned one, she took her first steps. Her wings never got in her way and she could control them like she did her arms and legs. Her wings were still jet black. She had special stools for her to sit on and her bed was wider than usual, allowing her wings to spread as she slept.

On her second birthday, her mother gave her a backpack to hide her wings in so they could go shopping and to the park. She also made her first friend, a girl named Diana.

When she turned three, she had her first birthday party. They only invited Diana, but Emily enjoyed it all the same. They took her to the movies.

On her fourth birthday, they went to the zoo. Emily enjoyed looking at the birds, obviously. They had a fun day, and Emily almost forgot about her wings. Until she got home that night.

It was on her fith birthday that the drama started. Diana was in an accident, and was hospitalized the day before her birthday. Diana now needed a wheelchair and wouldn't be able play with Emily in the park anymore. Emily vowed to become her guardian angel.

On her sixth birthday, she got a baby sister. She didn't have wings, but Emily loved her all the same. They named her Juliet Alison Wallen. She was the polar opposite to her older sister.

Nothing really happened on her seventh birthday, apart from her sister turning one. Diana was still okay.

It was when she was eight that she learned to fly. And this is where our story begins.