Four

Emily Abbott

The knock on the door woke me up, groaning for my brother to open it. When I found his bed empty, I slid out of my own to open the door.

I was surprised to see Trevor, standing there in my doorway.

"Oh, Emily, hey. Is Dylan here?" He asked me, pushing his phone into his pocket. He looked over my shoulder and into the room.

"No, he should be here soon, though. I'm pretty sure he went for food." I said, turning to close the door. The sooner I could close the door and put space between me and Trevor, the better.

"Ok, can I come in and wait?" He asked. Great. I nodded, ignoring the feeling of fire in my fingertips as he brushed past me.

I was thankful for cleaning the hotel room last night before going to bed, secretly thanking myself.

It was silent as he sat on Dylan's bed and pulled out his phone. I tried not to stare.

"So are you and Jack a thing?" He asked me, his question cutting through the air. My head snapped so hard I'm pretty sure I got whiplash.

"Oh my god, no. Jack and I are just friends." I said, shaking my head. Jesus, I had no chance did I?

Jack had a lot of friends who were girls, and I was his number one go to when he had questions about them. I was his girl best friend, the one he went to when he needed help. I was not his girlfriend.

"Okay, nice."

What did that mean?

I laughed uncomfortably, peaking out the window to only find white.

"So, this storm is crazy, huh?" I tried, Trevor looking up at me as I spoke.

He just nodded, staring at me as I walked towards the window.

"Well, seems like your brother is taking his sweet time. Want to play a game?"

I turned my head and peaked at him over my shoulder. I didn't expect him to suggest a game. "You want to play a game?"

I almost didn't believe him, and when he chuckled, I believed him even less.

"Um, I guess?" It came out as more of a question. He patted the spot next to him.

"Let's play 20 questions. Wanna get to know you better, Em." Trevor smirked, leaning back on his elbows.

I was to curl up and disappear right then and there. He was so cute, it hurt.

The funny feeling in my stomach lit up like a fire when he used the small nickname on me.

"Okay, me first, though." I copied his actions, laying back on the bed.

"Alright, go on." He urged me, turning a little to get a better look at me. I wanted to giggle.

"Favorite color?" I asked him.

"Easy, blue. What's your biggest fear?"

I groaned as I cringed. "Needles. I want to cry whenever I think about them."

We both laughed, the uncomfortable tension in between us lifting.

Talking to Trevor didn't seem to be so hard as I imagined it would be.

He was leaning on his left elbow, head being held up by his hand, looking down at me. Admiring me.

He raised his eyebrows as he smiled again and I blushed. "Do you want any tattoos?"

"Yea, probably something for my parents. I haven't thought about it much." He shrugged, flipping to sit on his stomach.

"Alright Em, if you had three wishes, what would they be?" He asked.

I thought long and hard about it. I wasn't sure, honestly. I thought my life was pretty good.

"For my parents to always be happy, for my siblings to be successful, and to have a really cute boyfriend or something." I giggled at the last part.

He nodded, clearly thinking about something. "You're pretty thoughtful, huh?"

I shrugged, "I try."

"Okay, who was your first crush?" I asked, getting a bit bolder.

"Hannah Montana." He said as his checks turned red, pushing his face into his hands.

"No way!" I laughed, rolling onto my side as I giggled.

"Alright, stop. It's embarrassing enough." He chuckled and shook his head.

"No, I think it's great." I sat up, my hair falling around my shoulders.

Trevor stared at me with a small smirk playing on his lips. We sat in silence for a minute or so.

He was staring at me for so long I was convinced there was something on my face.

"Trevor, it's your turn." I said, nodding towards him.

Whatever trance he was in, he snapped out of it and ran a hand through his hair.

"Have you ever been kissed?"