C H A P T E R | S I X

Kieran was back in the woods. She was walking and laughing with Tammy and Kat as they looked for a good spot to begin their hunt for herbs.

"How long has Teddy got now, until his exam?" Tammy asked.

"Four days."

"Is he excited?"

"I think so," Kat said. "But we can practically smell his nerves now. I think all the boys are getting nervous because they don't know who they're sparring. Alexander's secrecy is starting to get to them." Tammy nodded along to the younger girl's words.

"Do you have any children, Tammy?" Kieran asked.

"I have a daughter, but she's moved away now. Her mate was part of a different pack."

"Were you here when your mate took his exam?"

"I was. It was quite fun to watch, actually. Didn't even make it a full minute into the first stage," Tammy chuckled.

The two girls laughed along with her.

"Well, let's hope Teddy and John last longer than that," Kieran joked.

"John will pass, he's one of the best," Kat boasted proudly.

Hearing the way her friend spoke about her mate once again made Kieran wonder how much longer she would have to wait. Her birthday was next week, and according to what Toby said when she'd arrived, Jumpers met their mate around the time of their eighteenth birthday.

She found herself daydreaming constantly about what they'd be like. It made her feel like the sophomores at her high school whenever one of the football players would walk by.

"Kieran! Keep up," Tammy called.

She jolted; she'd been doing it again. She jogged to catch up with the pair. They chose a fairly open grove to search for anything useful and the conversation gradually stopped.

Kieran really liked being here. Of course, she was still missing her family, her mother in particular, like crazy. But she didn't mind being away from them all that much anymore. That realization scared her the first time she thought of it. She loved her family, very much. She should've been missing them more, she'd thought to herself. But after a few days of mulling it over, she'd concluded that they probably didn't mind that she was gone either.

Adam never really interacted with her. Ever since their dad had left he'd pulled away from her. And her mother, she'd tried her best. But it was obvious she cared a little more about Adam than she did her. It always had been.

ΑΩ

As the early morning shift walked back to FHQ one of the Forager Guard emerged from the trees to Kieran's left. He walked next to them for a time, completely silent.

"Do you need something, Allan?" Kat asked in a clipped tone.

"Your father asked me to inform the Jumper that she is to go to the Witch as soon as she returns."

Allan disappeared after he delivered his message. Kieran glanced at Kat and Tammy with her brow slightly raised in silent question. They ignored it however and continued their conversation. Kieran walked beside them with her head bowed lightly in thought. She wondered what Lana would teach her today. In the last week and a half, she hadn't talked about anything new. After the things she'd shown her that first meeting, Kieran had had what seemed like a million questions. She was less interested in that now, and she thought it was time for a change of subject. Lana would probably appreciate it too.

FHQ came into view as the group of twenty-five broke through the tree line.

"Here, Kieran, I'll sort your basket for you. Go ahead and see Lana," Tammy offered kindly.