C H A P T E R | E I G H T

It was a tense walk to the training grounds the following morning. The sun was just beginning to rise, and the air was crisp with the smell of coming snow. Kieran's boots crunched the frozen grass beneath their feet, her breath fogged in front of her face. They could see the edge of the sparring field and the girls each grabbed hold of one of Teddy's hands. He was tense and nerves were rolling off of him in waves. This was a last comfort before his strength was put to the test.

The area had been transformed in the early hours of the morning. Rows of wooden bleachers had been set up around the sparring ring, Derek had an area close by for anyone in need of immediate medical attention. And there was a long bench next to the sand of the ring for the recruits to sit on once they'd finished their attempts. They would have to wait in Alexander's house before it was their turn.

"Good luck," Kieran muttered as she gave Teddy a hug and watched him walk into their Alpha's house.

"Let's go find a good seat," Kat said.

The girls walked over to the emptiest set of bleachers and sat in the middle of the second row.

Nearly the whole pack was there, apart from those who had to work that morning. Ten minutes ticked by and more people showed up and Alexander spoke to the boys inside. Kieran felt Kat tense beside her and looked over to see what was wrong. Kat was staring at something, and she followed the girl's gaze. The twins were making their way over. They both wore black shorts and no shoes, along with white muscle shirts.

The makeshift arena was silent as the brothers stepped into the ring. They looked around slowly, and Kieran averted her eyes when one of them made brief eye contact with her. She was still afraid that they would kill her for being human.

Out of the corner of her eye she noticed Alexander walk toward them. He joined the twins in the middle of the ring and shook their hands.

"The exam has begun," He announced curtly and walked over to where the other leaders were sitting.

"Oliver, please step forward," Lana called in a clear voice.

All heads turned in the direction of Alexander's house. The back door opened, and Oli emerged in nothing but black shorts. Like his father, Oli shook each of the twins' hands when he entered the ring. He took one step back from them, waiting for whoever he was sparring to prepare themselves. The crowd tensed in anticipation, and some audibly gasped when it was Jarrett who removed his shirt and handed it to his younger brother. Emmett stepped just outside of the marked circle.

"Mother protect him." Kieran heard someone behind them whisper.

Once both boys had gotten into a ready position Alexander raised his hand.

"Begin."

Kieran flinched as Jarrett shot forward. Oli barely dodged the elder's attack and attempted one of his own. Emmett stalked around the circle, eyes glued to the fight happening in the middle of it. There was absolute silence as Jarrett suddenly and violently kicked Oli to the ground and placed his foot on the boy's chest.

"First attempt," Emmett called. "Pass." Kieran turned to her friend in confusion.

"But he was knocked down," She said.

"Doesn't matter. The exam isn't about beating your opponent, it's about showing your skill as a fighter. They'll each get three attempts, and if you pass two you move on to the next stage," Kat explained.

They turned back to the ring as Jarrett and Oli prepared for Oli's second attempt. It was over in less than a minute, however. Oli had landed one good punch before overconfidence clouded his better judgement and Jarrett punched him in the stomach before tackling him to the ground.

"Second attempt, fail."

As Oli's final attempt began Kieran could see him taking his time now. Not only to allow his breath to come back, but also to try and anticipate Jarrett's first attack. They danced around each other, striking out and sometimes meeting their target. But in the end Oli ended up in the sand with Jarrett's foot pressed into his chest.

"Final attempt, pass," Emmett announced. There was a round of polite applause as Oli stood up and walked over to the bench.

"Oliver, you will advance to the next stage. Desmond, please step forward," Lana commanded.

Dezzy stepped into the circle, and the process repeated.

"Desmond, you will advance to the next stage. John, please step forward."

John walked out of Alexander's house and stepped into the ring as Dezzy was helped over to Derek. Kat gripped Kieran's hand as John's test began. Her friend's mate held his ground through his first two attempts, but it was obvious by the third that John was getting tired. Jarrett noticed too and didn't hesitate in using that to his advantage.

Jarrett pummelled John over and over. Kat stood in fear for her mate. Kieran could see the strain on the other girl's face. In a selfish way it made her glad she wasn't mated yet and experiencing this. She'd nearly forgotten any pain your mate was in, you felt as well.

Jarrett made one last attack that sent John sprawling out of the ring unconscious. A pained scream tore out of Kat's mouth at the same time something in John's body broke. Kieran shot forward to catch Kat as she began to fall. She could feel everyone's eyes on them, and it made her skin crawl.

"Take me to him," Kat ground out.

"But—"

"Now!" She yelled.

The two were allowed to pass and Kieran jumped down to help Kat off the bleachers. She left Kieran behind and made her way over to her mate. Kieran decided it was safe for her to return to her seat and climbed back up to the second level bench.

"Third attempt, pass," Emmett called as John was carried to Derek and Kat trailed behind them.

"Teddy, please step forward," Lana said.

ΑΩ

Half an hour later both Kat and Kieran were in Derek's little medical tent. Teddy had passed into the next stage and had managed to best Jarrett on his second attempt, but it came with a cost. His wrist was fractured, and his collarbone broken, he also had three cracked ribs and a minor concussion.

"They'll be healed and ready for tomorrow, don't worry," Derek tried to reassure the girls.

They left the tent and Kieran noticed members of the crowd had changed.

"I think it's time for our shift," She said.

Kat nodded and they walked to FHQ. Tammy was waiting with two baskets for them. They each grabbed one and the trio walked into the woods.