CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWOMEETING THE CAVALRY

CHAPTER TWO
MEETING THE CAVALRY

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     Riley didn't immediately meet a bunch of the world's most famous superheroes the next day. The majority of them had yet to arrive when Riley woke up, so instead of going in search of them, he showered and then chose to seek out Nick Fury, only stopping by the kitchens to pick up a coffee. He was in the large control room, manning his circle of monitors and barking orders. It seemed like they were preparing to rise into the air, much to Riley's relief. They were just waiting for Steve Rogers and Bruce Banner. He had yet to hear anything solid about Tony Stark, but he guessed he would soon.

"Agent Cho," Fury greeted as soon as Riley was in earshot. Riley paused, frowning at his back, before glancing at a nearby monitor and rolling his eyes. He should have known he would have a camera set up somewhere. He was blind in one eye and never left his back unprotected on top of that. Sighing, he stepped up to him and left the coffee on the small table on Fury's right side. Fury glanced down at it once, then shook his head. "I'm not letting your skinny ass go off on a rogue mission to find Barton." Riley developed an innocent expression.

"That wasn't why I brought you coffee!" Riley exclaimed. "Can't I bring my boss coffee without having an ulterior motive?" Fury didn't respond, which was his first and final warning. Riley sighed and didn't bother pretending like he brought Fury coffee out of the goodness of his own heart any longer. "Okay, fine. I wanted to ask about the Avengers Initiative. Specifically, why I'm part of it."

"The Avengers Initiative calls for people who are special," Fury explained, typing something into the monitor on his right side before grabbing the handle there and slowly sliding it backwards. He did the same thing on the right monitor. Riley waited for him to say something more, to explain exactly what made Riley so special, but he didn't. Riley let out a breath of disbelief.

"I don't really think controlling how bright a room can be is all that special," Riley pointed out, head tilting in confusion. "I mean, a light switch can do the same thing." Fury actually chuckled at that, though it was low and gone too soon. Riley wanted to press the matter, because he truly didn't understand what made him so special that he was included in something Fury seemed to care personally about, but decided to drop it. Fury would either simply tell him to do his job or he would get another warning, and Riley didn't want either of those things to happened. He let out a soft sigh. "Well, I guess I won't know until you want me to know, so I'll stop pushing. I haven't been given any assignments yet. Do you need me to do anything specifically?"

He was used to Fury giving him assignments personally. Being trained under Natasha Romanoff and Clint Barton—two of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s best agents, not to mention the ones who seemed to have their own little relationships with Fury—meant that Riley had been under the watchful eyes of both Maria Hill and Nick Fury himself since he had been recruited. He had always wondered why Director Fury had shown such an interest in him, Clint and Natasha aside, and now he was starting to wonder if it had anything to do with the Avengers Initiative. If Fury had been planning something like this for a long time, then it was no wonder he had kept a close eye on someone with inhuman abilities. No matter how unimpressive Riley thought his abilities were.