CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE
PETTY DIFFERENCES

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     Riley went to put a comm in his ear as Nat prepared to interrogate Loki herself. She had planned on just walking straight in, but Riley had managed to convince her to talk to Fury first, since he would want to watch over the questioning. He was probably keeping an eye on Loki anyway, but it was better to be safe than sorry. Other than that, though, Nat was perfectly prepared. She hadn't stepped foot out of her bodysuit since they had brought Loki in, figuring that weapons and comms were necessary. Riley was the same way, though he didn't have a bodysuit like Nat. Just a regular outfit assigned to any other agent, save for the pouch on his pants that held some of Nat's electric handheld weapons. He had strapped a handgun to a holster around his thigh, already loaded fully, and extra ammo was in his pockets. The only thing he hadn't bothered with were the comms, but that was only because he found sleeping in them uncomfortable and impossible.

Now, Riley was standing behind Fury in the briefing room, his arms crossed over his chest as he looked at the monitor. Neither of them had bothered to call the rest of the heroes to watch, figuring it would be a waste of time if Nat failed like Fury had. It was highly unlikely considering her level of skill when it came to getting answers without actually asking any questions, but it was still possible. Currently, the heroes were all spread out across the Helicarrier, carrying on with their own responsibilities. Tony and Bruce were in the research lab, studying Loki's scepter and trying to find the Tesseract. Thor was in the control room; Riley could see him talking to Coulson near one of the computers, a picture of a brown-haired woman on the screen.

He had no idea where Steve was, though. Perhaps that should have been concerning, but Riley couldn't bring himself to feel too paranoid. It was Captain America, known across the entire country as a moral and just person. Even if he was poking around where he shouldn't, Riley had a gut feeling it wasn't out of malice. He didn't even think Steve Rogers could be malicious. The thought was calming, even if it was a little naïve. Riley knew from personal experience that the nicest person could still have malicious intentions. He just hoped he was right about this one.

On the monitor, Nat appeared in the camera's line of sight, catching Riley and Fury's attention. Her method of interrogation—most of the time, at least—so simple that Riley was surprised it ever actually worked. She just appeared and stayed silent. Her silence usually made the other person feel the need to fill in the silence for her. No one locked up, whether they were guilty or innocent, could really stand the silence for long. It unnerved them, even if they didn't even realize it. She stood there for a good while, studying Loki as he paced his cage. Knowing she would do that for a good while, Riley tapped on another monitor nearby and brought up the controls for the glass cage.