13

Chapter warnings: violence, bullying mentions

I've been meaning to say this since I started posting again but can you believe that I predicted Logan would throw a paper ball at Roman in Learning New Things About Ourselves in chapter 7 lmao-

Also bit of self promotion but uhhh if you're interested in NSFW content there's a oneshot in my third oneshots book titled Possessed based on this book that you may enjoy! Anyways, onto the chapter now. Hope you enjoy!

The rest of the time that Logan and Virgil were alone together wasn't nearly as awkward as Virgil anticipated. Virgil had actually gotten plenty of sleep the night before due to Logan's insistence, and since he had woken up had spent his time chatting with Logan just like any other day in the library. It was nice to send time with him, and the day passed by quickly. In almost no time at all Roman was texting them to tell them to meet up at his house, and the pair were on their way.

It was a lot quieter on the ride there. Virgil's mother drove him, so they couldn't have talked much anyways but they would have been quiet regardless. Both of them were feeling nervous for what awaited them at Roman's home.

Patton arrived at the same time as they did, stepping out of his moms car just as they were pulling in. He smiled at Virgil and Logan as they got out, and Virgil could tell he was feeling nervous too. Virgil smiled back as best he could, the both of them saying goodbye to their parents before they went up to Roman's door. Patton rang the doorbell, and only a few moments later a very excited, grinning Roman answered. Virgil frowned to himself, annoyed that he didn't understand the severity of their situation.

"Hey guys!" He greeted, stepping aside to let them in the front door. Virgil felt even more frustration at being treated as if he were Roman's old friend. As if they'd ever get along if it weren't for this situation they found themselves in. Roman didn't seem to notice his annoyance, turning away from them to lead them further into his home and to where his parents were. "Hey mom, dad, these are my new friends from school, Patton and Logan!"

Virgil blinked in surprise, pausing for a moment. Did Roman really just get them confused, or was he intentionally saying that he only considered Logan to be a friend? Virgil tried to remind himself that it didn't matter-it wasn't like he would be coming over here after they had talked to Sebastian. He still couldn't help but feel offended, correcting him. "Uh... actually it's Virgil."

"Oh, right!" He caught Roman's face fall for a brief moment, as if he actually felt bad. He must be a really good actor, Virgil told himself. "I'm sorry, Virgil." He said to him before turning back to his parents. "Logan's another one of our friends at school. I got them mixed up for a moment."

Virgil realized that what he was feeling at Roman calling Logan "our friend" was jealousy, but he did his best to ignore that fact. He played off the fact that he was annoyed with a smile to Roman's parents, not wanting them to realize he wasn't truly Roman's friend. "It's nice to meet the two of you," he added carefully.

"It's nice to meet you as well!" His parents smiled back genuinely. "Roman hasn't ever had any friends over, so it's nice to see him finally finding people to hang out with. You both seem very sweet."

Virgil sent a surprised glance over to Roman at that, catching his face flushing as he kept his gaze locked on his mom, shushing her quietly as she laughed and apologized. Virgil was sure Roman, as loud as he always was, would have had no trouble finding friends. Virgil thought for a brief moment that maybe he had misjudged Roman. Maybe he had barged in on their friend group because he didn't have anyone else. Virgil dismissed the thought quickly. Roman was just stubborn and annoying, he told himself, but still found that he was a little less annoyed by his presence in their friend group now.