Closer

In the otherwise quiet city hospital, loud bickering could be heard from one of the patient's rooms. 

"You guys are crowding the room. How am I supposed to spend quality time with my sister if you guys are here? Leave!"

"No. I have a right to be here. I'm her best friend Maix!"

"Yeah don't kick Molly out!"

"Who are you to talk? Huh? Always sticking up for your girlfriend."

"Your just jealous because you're all alone."

". . . "

In the middle of all the childish arguing, the dark-haired man sat with his head across the patient's lap, his hand grasping hers. 

Unlike his usual attire, Alecai was clothed in a clean, but a very casual white T-shirt and a pair of dark jeans. Instead of his usual choice of dress shoes, the businessman wore slippers. 

What's more, though his face was shaven, and his body well-fed, he wore this helpless look. 

He wasn't foolish enough to neglect his own health while waiting for her, as that wouldn't be helping anyone, but no amount of food or sleep would relieve him from his worries.  

"Let Molly stay."

Everyone in the room froze and turned to the patient on the bed as she slowly opened her eyes. 

"You guys are so loud, I bet you woke up the entire hospital."

Molly was the first one to react, pulling her friend into her arms before bursting into tears. 

"How could you do that to me! You dumb girl! Do you have any idea how worried I was?"

"Ouch, careful and yes, yes I'm sorry." Gently pulling Molly's arms off of her as her wound was still on entirely healed, Via smiled at her friend's melodramatic antics. 

After Molly, her brother each had to scold her for going into a dangerous situation by herself, but it was Asa who she held onto the longest, her heart settling once she saw that he was indeed safe. 

It turned out that Asa had gone out with Molly to celebrate her finishing all of her designs and while they were out, he lost track of where his phone was. 

After her brothers left, Via was surprised to see two more figures walk in. One was James, who walked in with a new laptop. 

His only explanation?

"I didn't think you would have liked flowers."

Via laughed and hugged him, looking at Alecai as if to say, 'see if you're nice to him he'll be good to you too.'

After James, Lucas Lofter walked in.

"Grandfather sends his best wishes."

Unlike most times she had seen the charismatic businessman, Lucas was more reserved during this visit and left quickly after he came in. 

Inside, Via found Lucas's behavior heart-warming as she knew his true nature was not to be outgoing and was thus touched he was becoming more comfortable around her. 

During all of this, a certain curly haired man sat by her side, never letting go of her hand. 

Once everyone had left, it was just the two of them. 

"How are you? Have you been eating enough?" Via covered Alecai's hand with hers. 

"You're asking about me when you are the one in the hospital bed." Alecai leaned back, raising his eyebrow at her. 

"Yes. I worry about you." Alecai could only shake his head at this.

"I'm fine. See?" Alecai gestured to his clean clothes and well-shaven face, shuffling his feet so that she couldn't see his shoes. 

"Yeah, sure. I may have lost a lot of blood, but I'm not stupid Cai. I know that that isn't how you usually dress."

Alecai only nodded, letting Via scold him. 

She suddenly stopped, a whistful expression on her face.

"Remember that time, in our garden, when we made a deal?"

Alecai paused to think.

"Yeah, you promised to help me with Sprouts in exchange for one favor."

"I'm ready to call in on that favor."

"What is it?"

Alecai smiled at her, thinking that she wasn't being entirely serious.

"If something like this ever happens again, but I don't come back, promise me you'll take care of yourself? And not just physically. Promise me you won't go back to being a stiff."

Via stopped and looked over at Alecai.

"Cai?"

"I-I promise." 

Via laughed lightly, taking his hand back in hers.

"You don't have to get so choked up, I'm just taking precautions."

Alecai didn't respond, squeezing her hand a bit harder than usual.

"Anyways, catch me up on what I missed?"

Alecai nodded. 

"You would have won the competition, but you weren't there, so Molly won."

"Sophie?"

"Not good. The Samuel family is trying to cover the entire incident. Lofter already had you covered, or I would have taken action, but right now all that's in the news is that Sophie locked some innocent person up and seriously harmed them."

"The guards with her?"

"Once they reported the incident and admitted their involvement, they were cleared as they were not the perpetrators. However, they did take place in a serious crime so that police offered them a way out: jobs as part of an elite security force. They were delighted and are really grateful they stopped working for the Samuel family."

"Now let's talk about you."

"What about me?"

"Well where do you want to go for lunch?"

. . . 

Meanwhile in the Samuel family house. . .  

"You foolish girl. I told you to beat that Via girl, but not literally. Ugh so useless. How could such a useless daughter be related to our Samuel family? If I could I would disown you right now, but I can't since that would make us look worse."

"Your mother is right, you made a big mistake. You are now to live with us so that we can make sure you do not make such a mistake again. We may have covered for you today, but that girl not only powerful, but backed by some very powerful people. If I didn't know better, I'd rather have her as a daughter than you!"

Like this, Sophie's parents continued to yell at her. 

Day and night, she felt as if her skull would burst. Every night, she went to bed, tears streaming down her face as that was the only time she could cry in peace.

I just wanted you to be proud of me.