Michelle - 3

Michelle jumped as a crash sounded to her left.

"What the fuck!?" She said before she could think about keeping her composure.

On the floor to Michelle's left and in front of the scientists was the remains of what looked like a broken coffee cup.

The tall scientist smiled broadly, "Something new! We've never had that happen before! Steven, please bag that coffee cup up so we can study it later."

The shorter scientist, Steven apparently, reached into a pocket of his lab coat and produced a plastic bag similar to police evidence bags Michelle had seen on TV along with a set of gloves. He picked up the bigger pieces and placed them into the bag and used his hand to sweep the remaining debris into the bag."

The taller scientist beamed at Michelle. "Perfect! Tell me, did you feel anything? Experience anything?"

"My heart was beating really fast, but it was doing that before I touched the box, I mean artifact."

"Nothing at all? No unusual sensations? Just the touch, and then bam?" The scientist clapped his hands together as he said "bam", causing Michelle to jump and John to back away with his hand inching towards his gun. After realizing where the noise came from, both John and Michelle visibly relaxed.

"No, nothing. I touched the... artifact, and then that cup appeared and broke."

"Interesting. Tell me, were you thinking about coffee or any sort of cup? Maybe being tired?"

Michelle shook her head. "No, not that I can remember."

"Okay, it looks like we have our next experiment then! Give us just a moment, my colleague and I are going to deliver this cup to the lab, and then we will be back to continue."

The two scientists left without bothering to give Michelle her gun back.

John looked at her, grinning.

"Next time I'm tired during our shift I'm just gonna have you touch that thing, just try to bring some coffee with it next time. And try not to let it shatter and spill everywhere. You know that janitors get pissed about that kind of stuff."

"Fuck off John," Michelle said, still feeling shaken about what just happened, and wondering what this all meant for her future here at the Order.

"Whoa, hey, I was just making a joke, damn. What's going on?"

Michelle shook her head. "Sorry, I'm just startled still is all. This came out of nowhere. First, they say they want to experiment using us guards, and then when I touch it a fucking cup appears? What's going to happen the next time I touch it? You know how this thing affects some people. For all I know that could have been a one-time thing and the next time I touch it it'll give me an aneurysm or something."

"Oh come on, that thing isn't going to hurt you. Ever time we've seen someone get hurt by touching that it happened immediately. Everyone who had something else happen and was told to touch it again had pretty much the same thing happen. So far no one has touched it once, pissed their pants and touched it again and was able to fly or whatever. That thing might affect people differently, but it's never changed what it did for the person touching it the second time. Remember that one guy who touched it and then the room started smelling like flowers? It did the same thing the next time he touched it, it even smelled the same. I'm sure the next time you touch it another coffee cup will appear and then they'll leave you alone."

"Yeah, I guess so..."

John noticed Michelle still looked troubled, so he quit trying to talk to her until she was ready.

The two sat in silence until the door to the room slid open and the two scientists came in, the taller one beginning to talk before the door was even fully open. Michelle composed herself quickly. She wasn't sure where these scientists ranked with the Order compared to her, but she didn't want to risk seeing disrespectful.

"Okay! Are we ready for another test? That was very interesting Michelle!" the taller one said

He was smiling like a five-year-old kid on Christmas day, while Steven, the shorter scientist remained as silent and stoic as ever.

"Yes sir, I'm ready when you are."

"Good! Forgive my previous rudeness, I introduced my colleague, but I didn't introduce myself. I am Aleksander, you can call me Alek if you would like. Probably easier to say, yes?" he continued talking before Michelle had a chance to reply.

"Okay, let's try again. This time I would like you to think of something different. Think of a red bowl! That's good. A red bowl, can you do that please?"

"Yes, sir. You want me to think of a red bowl while I touch the artifact, right?

"That's right! Great. Please stand next to the artifact if you would please."

Michelle walked to where she had been standing when she touched the artifact earlier.

"Right there, perfect! Now, remember to think of a red bowl the whole time. Before you touch and while you touch, okay?"

"Yes sir"

"Okay, Michelle, when you are ready, think of the bowl and touch the artifact please."

Michelle took a deep breath to calm herself, closed her eyes to help her visualize the bowl, and thinking of a plain red bowl she reached forward and put her palm on the box again.

~ ~ ~

If you've enjoyed this, please consider following, commenting, and voting! Thanks for reading!