Chapter 15

Thor slowly opened his eyes. He was free of the pain, free of the raging wars and battles, free of it all... 

Once he fully opened them, the blinding light took him by surprise, forcing him to squint until his eyes could adjust. Getting to his feet, he noticed himself standing in a wide, open field with a gentle breeze brushing passed his face.

Smiling gently, he made his way toward the waves of water that washed onto the beach below.

Thor made his way down the steep decline until he felt the warm sand on his feet. He made his way to the edge of the water, feeling the cool water slip over his toes. It seemed to refresh and relax him, it was an amazing feeling.

"Your time had been cut short, my son," a familiar voice said from behind Thor. He turned around to see his father smiling softly at him.

"Father..." was all Thor could manage to get out of his mouth.

From behind his father stood Frigga, who was smiling sadly at him as well. "It is a shame you had to meet your end in such a way, Thor.." She said apologetically with a slight smile.

"I'm sorry...I feel as though I have failed you both," Thor finally said after a few moments of silence. 

"You have not failed us yet," Odin said while walking up to his eldest son.

Thor seemed confused. He was dead, how could he have not failed them? "How? I-I died! Asgard is doomed..without me there, the people will surely perish."

Frigga stepped forward as well and placed her hand on her son's shoulder, the same gentle smile not yet wavering from its place. "It is not your time yet, Thor.." She said gently, her voice echoing through his head.

"What do you mean?" Thor asked. 

"It is not your time to die yet. You have far too much to accomplish. You must go back, protect your brother and save Asgard." Frigga replied, her features shifting into a determined and hopeful look.

Thor lowered his head as if thinking for a moment. He was practically torn between two realms here and 2 different endings. The first; he could be with his mother and father, and Asgard and his brother would surely be doomed. The second; he could return, save Asgard and his brother, and be freed from the poisoning thoughts. "Your brother needs you, Thor.." Frigga looked at him.

"It is your choice. We shall not force you to return," Odin added calmly with a slow nod from Frigga in return.

The choice was difficult, and Thor was thinking about the pros and cons of both staying and going back. Sure, Valhalla was peaceful and war-free, but Frigga was right when she said his brother needed him. Asgard needed him. They were depending on him as their king.

After a few moments of thought, Thor had finally given it an answer. He had to keep Asgard safe. 

"I shall return," He answered, his expression turning to determination.

Both of his parents smiled proudly and gave a curt nod. "We shall be watching you. Remember, we are always with you..." Frigga embraced Thor in a comforting hug before patting his shoulder. Thor noticed a tear in her eye. "And tell Loki I love him." 

With that, Thor felt himself drift away from the peace of Valhalla. He gasped, feeling a sudden weak and exhaustiveness overtake him in his attempt to stand up. 

He remembered what had happened; how his brother had stabbed him multiple times.

Thor felt himself be pulled into the tightest embrace imaginable.

"Brother! Oh thank the Norns, I thought you were dead..I-I thought I killed you.." His brother began ranting as Thor found the strength to hug him in return.

"Relax, dear brother. You did not kill me," Thor answered in reply, his voice relatively strengthening.

Loki let go of him, assisting him into a sitting position as Thor took the time to examine his brother's features. They looked the same as before he had departed. His forehead was bruised and cut, his lip bloodied. There was a tear in his armor as well.

"What happened? Did you see father? Mother?" Loki asked, obviously knowing he had gone to Valhalla.

Thor gave a soft smile, "Yes. I indeed did, Loki. I talked to them as well. Mother also told me to tell you she loves you."

A tear formed in the corner of Loki's eye as he lowered his head.

Thor got to his feet, Loki following soon after. "What do we have to do now?" Loki asked, a bit of clear hatred toward Hela and those sickening creatures still tainted in his expression and tone of voice.

Thor, thinking about the sacrifice that was about to be made, sighed deeply. 

"We must use the Bifrost to evacuate the citizens of Asgard."

Loki looked extremely confused at what his oldest brother had just said until Thor spoke up for the second time.

"The only way is to destroy our home."