Chapter 17 Gareth

Chapter 17 Gareth

My heart seemed to become a butterfly as I watched Jaynaria for the next few weeks.

She had this easy confidence and was quiet. I had briefly met her and when I did, I know with certainty, she was the one for me. She was incredibly courageous.

I needed to some how get close to her. Talk to her maybe.

I finished the chore and walked to Captain Turin's room in the inn of the village.

Hearing voices in the Captain's room, door wide open, I hid by the doorway.

"Turin, she is your daughter. For goodness sake! You have a duty as a Dragon to teach her control. Her emotions control her gift, not her own mind. I may have not been born with the gift of fire, but I do understand how it works, after all my sister had it. She was the last Phoenix Varian fucking murdered. My sister. Marianne, who you grew up with. One of the most powerful. Your daughter is stronger than Marianne. Stronger! God damn it! Go ahead be stubborn I see where she got her thick head. Cause it was not from me!" Hissed an unknown voice, clearly a woman.

"Czarina. I can't let Varian find her. Then OUR daughter's life is endangered. She could die, and in some of the most twisted fashions. For fuck's sake, he has hellfire! That kills any Phoenix!" Snarled Captain Turin.

"Not OUR daughter. Not the Pure Phoenix." Czarina stated firmly.

"Jay is immune to hellfire?"

"Yes. She encountered it three years ago. When a Daemon got loose. In the forset surrounding the village. They met and she said it sent fire at her. Jay can control hellfire, and not be burned by it. She destroyed the Daemon with Purefire. White, pure fire."

Silence echoed in the Captain's room.

"Even more a reason I can't help."

"Turin-"

"I know I have a duty. But dont I have a duty to ensure that Varian does not find her? To protect her. If I teach her control, he'll know. He knows when any one of the Dragons are using their gift. So I am not daring that. Period."

Czarina didnt argue with the Captain.

"I best be on my way. Oh, and did you know you have Marianne's godson in your company?"

A gorgeous woman, even though not at her prime, walked past me. She didnt even seem to notice me.

I stood there, calming my beating heart.

What I had just learn, was astounding.

Jay was a Phoenix, that much I knew. But the Pure Phoenix?

Wow.

Pure Phoenix...

Powerful, dangerous and no fire can harm her. She is fire.

By the seven stars of Crystal Point, I had fallen in love with the one Phoenix that was foretold as the savior of our people.

Oh the irony