Chapter 5: Memories

I sat outside of the 1st Division, my back against the wall. Jushiro was busy chewing on some sweets he found in his sleeve. "Chocolate?"

"No thank you." I wrinkled my nose at the sweets. Jushiro continued to chew happily. Footsteps were coming. I pushed myself off the wall and crossed my arms over my chest. The figure turned the corner.

He was bald and had strange red markings around the corners of his eyes. As soon as he saw me, his lips pulled back in a huge smirk. Jushiro sighed from behind me.

"They had to send him?" Jushiro finished off his sweets and stood beside me.

"Ah Ikkaku, nice to see you." Jushiro chirped. The man slung his staff behind his neck, resting it in his shoulder.

He nodded to Jushiro. "Captain Ukitake." He then turned to me and his look turned vicious. "Well, Well, Well~" he took a long whiff of me.

"Gross."

"You must be our new fresh meat." Jushiro waves his hands around at Ikkaku.

"No no! She's just going to be doing some duties around your division. No meat involved!" Ikkaku narrowed his already thin eyes.

"So a maid then?" A tick mark appeared on my forehead.

"Who are you calling a maid?" I grabbed his staff and jerked it from his hands. Both his and Jushiro's eyes widened in shock. Ikkaku stumbled back and anger washed over his face.

"Go FECTH!" I chucked the staff through the wooden wall, watching it fly far from sight. Both men were speechless at how strong I was. Hell even I was shocked.

"You little brat!" Ikkaku came stomping towards me and lifted me off the ground by my kimono. "I oughta-!"

"Enough!" Ikkaku and I broke our staring match to see Jushiro with his hand on his sword. "Ikkaku release her." His voice was cold now. Ikkaku grumbled and dropped me back on my feet.

"Yes sir." The bald man took a few steps back. "You stay right there. I have to go get my Zanpakutō. If you so much as move, I'll take you straight to Captain Zaraki." He was mere inches from my face, I could feel the anger radiating from him.

He disappeared and I turned to Jushiro. He didn't seem too happy with me right now. I rubbed the back of my head. "Sorry Jushiro-"

"Ainu, I won't be there to protect you." He places a hand on my shoulder. "You cannot cause trouble. You will either be exiled or forced to fight Captain Zaraki. Neither of those have a good outcome."

"But I'm not defenseless. And I can't pretend to be. I can't!" I clenched my fist by my side. I wouldn't have what happened to me only days earlier, happen again. I felt so....weak. Ikkaku came marching back inside, slipping through the hold in the wall. It was far bigger than I remember.

"C'mon kid. Let's go. I have to take you to squad 4." His anger seemed to be controlled now.

"Goodbye Jushiro. I'll see you soon alright?" I mouthed the words 'don't worry' so only Jushiro could see.

Ikkaku and I hopped out of the hole and onto the street.

~~~~~~~

~Jushiro POV~

It couldn't be her,

I sighed and stared at the huge hold in the wall. Ainu wasn't defenseless at all. But how was I supposed to explain that to Head Captain? I held my head as I started to walk back to Shunsui. She looked so much like her.

So spirited and strong.

~flashback~

"C'mon sis! You'll never graduate the academy at the pace!" Jushiro and Shunsui sat up on the hill, staring down at the dark haired girl running laps around the Ukitake estate.

"Shut up idiot!" Yuna huffed and ran even faster. To be honest, she was faster then any of the Shinigami Jushiro and Shunsui has graduated with. Her speed was undeniable. Shunsui leaned back and took a swig of his sake.

"Faster Ainu. I bet I could beat you after I finish off this entire bottle." Yuna stopped and leaned against a tree trunk and growled.

"Of course you could! You're an alcoholic!" Shunsui pretended to be hurt.

"Ouch! How dare you?!" Shunsui finished off with a loud laugh and sighed. Yuna ran up the hill and tackled him, pinning him with ease.

"C'mon Shunsui! Fight me like a man!" Jushiro laughed behind his sleeve at his two beloved friends. Shunsui whined and squirmed under his younger sister.

"Yuna get offff! Dear Jushiro has some cookies for you!" Yuna sat up and stuck her tongue out.

"I don't like sweet things. You know that." Shunsui quickly grabbed Yuna's waist and threw her off. Yuna landed with a thud and pouted. She crawled over to Jushiro and began playing with his hair.

"Shiro is the only sweet thing I like." She softly kissed Jushiro's check. He chuckled and a soft blush crossed his cheeks.

"Thank you little bird." Yuna giggled at the nickname. Shiro has given her that name when she was just a child. When she was young, she sung so prettily, like a blue bird in spring. She didn't sing anymore, not since her oldest brother passed.

"Give me a drink." Yuna reaches for the alcohol but Shunsui pulled the bottle out of her grasp. She collapsed in Jushiro's lap and whined. Jushiro patted her head softly.

"I'll tell you what. We can share a drink when you graduate." Yuna perked up.

"Hell yeah!"

"Language!" Shunsui yelled.

~Jushiro POV~

I smiled at the fond memory. I didn't even realize I had walked all the way to the 8th Division. The sun was close to setting by now. I walked in and waved hello to the subordinates that I passed. I opened the Captain Division door and saw Shunsui with an empty bottle of alcohol in his hand. He was passed out over papers, drooling over them.

I sighed and tapped on his head. He grumbled and waved his hand.

"Just a few more minutes Nanao..."

"It's me old friend." Shunsui rubbed his eyes and smiled sleepily at me.

"Hello Jushiro, how're you this fine evening?" I shook my head and took a seat next to him.

"It's been a strange day. You've heard about the intruder?" He nodded and sat up straight in his seat. I poured myself a cup of water.

"She reminds me of Yuna. The way she smiles, her spark, it's so odd." I finished off my water. Shunsui just looked over at me and a sadness I had not seen in awhile was there in his eyes.

"I don't want to think about it." Shunsui tipped his hat over his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest.

"I'm sorry-"

"Drop it Jushiro." His cold voice made me shiver. I felt the familiar tightness in my chest and began to cough, blood seeping through my fingers and onto my glass.

Shunsui dropped his cold demeanor and came behind me.

"Shit. It's alright Shiro. Just breath." I inhaled deeply and tried to fight the pain in my chest. Shunsui stroked my hair and got me a new glass and water. "I'm sorry buddy. Why don't we get you back home?" He helped me stand to my unsteady feet and wiped the corner of my mouth with a tissue.

"N-no worries." I forced a smile, blood staining my teeth. Shunsui chuckled and began walking to the door.

"I'm always worried about you."