Explaining the 'Pack Hierarchy'

There are four prominent families in a pack. These four families make up the highest ranking wolves and consist of the alpha, beta, third-in-command, and fourth-in-command.

Alpha: Leader, also known as the father of the pack. Alphas are typically male wolves. His mate is called the luna. She is also known as the mother of pack. Together, they form the highest rank in the pack. They govern over all other members. Typically, the alpha is known to protect his entire pack from his mate go right down to the omega ranked wolves. His mate mainly protects children.

When there are pups in the pack, female pups usually spend the majority of their time with their luna. Male pups, when away from their parents, spend most of said time away around the alpha. She portrays an image of feminine grace and strength, and maternal instinct that female pups learn from her. The alpha portrays the image of brute strength, paternal instinct, wisdom and leadership that male pups are groomed to possess in order to protect their pack and families.

The position of alpha is inherited, passed down generation to generation. The position is not permanent as it is open to challenge from any pack member who believes themselves worthy of leading. The position of alpha can be contested, and the alpha can be dethroned if his reign is cruel and unfair and enough pack members demand a new alpha. However, since most alphas understand the weight of their responsibility, they conform to the laws and standards to ensure the growth, wellbeing, happiness, stability, and loyalty of his pack.

Beta: Second-in-command. The rank below the alpha family. They share similar responsibilities to the alpha family. This position is also inherited, but unlike the alpha position, it is less subjected to contest from any other pack member. Betas act as a secondary unit of support to the alpha and keeps the pack under control. While the pack looks to the alpha for protection, they look to the beta for guidance in times of conflict.

Beta wolves are usually charged with the responsibility of interrogating prisoners, and either disagreeing or agreeing with the alpha on the final say of any pack decision. The beta wolf is also the most logical and one of the most educated wolves in the pack. Hence, the alpha provides brawn, while the beta acts as the brains and advices the alpha on decisions.

Third-in-command: Two ranks below the alpha family. They share most responsibilities with the alpha and beta, as these three prominent leaders deal with the bulk of logistics and administrative duties. The position is inherited, and unlike the alpha position and beta position, it is the only prominent position that is not contested. The third-in-command acts as a solid support system to the alpha and beta. Their main duty is pack security and border patrol.

Fourth-in-command: Pack warrior elite. Also known as the elite of the elite. The fourth-in-command's loyalty to the first three prominent families is incredibly important. Because they usually lead the front line into the battle, the majority is swayed by their opinion. If a fourth-in-command is dissatisfied with the way the pack is run, he/she is qualified to challenge the alpha for his position. This rank holds firm, and acts as the glue that keeps the pack together. Given that wolves of this rank, and any warrior wolf beneath them, usually put out more than they expect in return, the rest of the pack hold them in a high regard and are easily swayed by their opinion.

The fourth-in-command rank, despite being a rank that cements the pack's loyalty to its alpha, is the most contested rank throughout the entire pack. Members of this rank are usually charged with the responsibility of training upcoming warriors to their best and teaching all wolves defence and offense. It is important that the fourth-in-command of a pack is in good terms with his/her alpha because of the sway they hold over the majority.

Subordinates: They make up the majority of the pack and consist of members of fifth and sixth in command families, which aren't prominent families, but the most likely to replace any of the top four should they perish or be incapable of leading. They also consist of middle ranked wolves, pack warriors, and those wolves who don't carry much contribution by way of leadership or strength, but focus more medical, psychological, and financial support systems.

Omega: The lowest ranking wolves. They do not contribute much to the pack, and are usually seen as babysitters for pups, or workers within a pack that aid in cooking, cleaning, and preparation with any event. Despite their lowly rank, they are usually seen as the comic relief to ease tension within the pack. Hence, they aren't treated any differently than subordinates, and while they babysit, cook, and clean, they also carry about with day-to-day jobs that bring in finance for them and their family.