New Monster, New You.

When we finally reach our destination and emerge from the shadow, I'm stumbling out and gasping for air. It felt like the air had been knocked out of me, yet I also want to vomit. As soon as I'm out I fall to my knees, only to realize that I'm halfway submerged in murky, green water. We're surrounded by beautiful Cypress trees that tower over us, mangled roots stretching into the muddy river and burrowing into the water below.

"Reagan, watch out!" Nico exclaims suddenly, and before I even realize it something long and scaly brushes against my arm, sending shivers throughout my body. When I find the source, I freeze entirely. It was an alligator's long tail that had rubbed against my leg, and when I spot the creature finally, it's turning in my direction.

Cursing under my breath, I try and fail to get up. For some reason my legs don't want to work for me right now, and as I stand up shakily Nico grabs my arm and begins pulling me to safety. It's hard at first, with my legs not functioning and the mud sucking our feet in deeper and deeper, but eventually Nico drags us towards a thick bundle of roots and clambers on, out of the water and away from the alligator. As the animal nears and rears its head out of the water, mouth opening, I force my legs to work correctly and climb up the root. His fingers grip my clothes, fumbling at first but eventually he helps me up and out of the water.

"T-Thanks." My teeth are chattering as I hug myself to keep warm, and I'm beginning to wish I had packed some kind of blanket for this situation, but I guess you can't prepare for every unforeseen obstacle.

Annabeth probably would have prepared for something like this.

"No offence," I say slowly, watching below as the alligator circles in the water in wait, "but couldn't you at least have taken us somewhere more safe?" I'm soaking wet from the waist down and covered in mud. "And more dry."

Nico glares at me then looks away. "I'm still learning how to control it myself." He sighs irritably, and once his shaking subsides, twists the skull ring on his finger. "I got us farther then you would have gotten on your own."

"Good point."

Nico let's out a long sigh, and I take a moment to take in his features: Hair longer then ever, skinny, and a thin sheen of sweat covers his face. I frown.

"Nico, are you okay?" I ask in concern.

He nods and pulls the bomber jacket tighter around his thin frame. "Just....tired." He manages in a strained voice.

It doesn't help that the air is muggy and hot, yet he looks like he's freezing. I didn't pack anything that could help him warm up, and I doubted he could fit into my clothes. I look down once more and notice that the alligator had disappeared, and I take a moment to look around in case it's nearby before slipping off the large root and shouldering the bag securely.

"Here," I turn my back to him and raise my arms a little, "get on my back. I'll carry you out of here."

He stares down at me reluctantly. "I can take care of myself."

He begins to clamber down, but his grip loosens by mistake and he almost falls, but I catch ahold of him quickly before he lands face first into the swampy water again.

"Nico." My tone of voice is akin to pleading, because I almost am. The last thing I want to happen is for something bad to happen to him. "Let me. You helped me here, now let me help you."

He raises an eyebrow, unimpressed. But eventually he agrees in a soft mumble. "Only until my strength is back."

I silently kneel back into the water without protest, allowing Nico to climb onto my back and wrap his legs around my waist and his arms around my neck. It takes me a minute to regain my balance with the extra weight, but once I'm finally up, it's like I'm carrying nothing at all Nico is so small.