I'm Going to the Underworld?

Glass shatters everywhere as the monster leaps through the window. For how massive it is, it fits through the window with ease. We're all scrambling for safety by now.

"I don't really know what a je-rouge is, but I know one thing: It's a monster and I know how to handle monsters." I grunt and push myself to my feet. My ring transforms into my weapon, Sextus, and I point the bronze tip at the creature's chest. "I'll take care of this."

Marie shouts in protest, but it's too late as I stab the furry thing right in the chest as it goes to stand straight up. I can't help but let out a triumphant laugh as the beast stills and lets out a shuddering breath as my weapon lodges itself into it's chest. But my smirk soon fades as I stand there waiting for the thing to dissolve into dust, which it never does. The monster lets out a howl of pain and smacks me aside with a long arm.

"Reagan!" Nico cries, goes to rush to my side before stopping because the monster leans down like it's ready to lunge at him at any second.

All I do is groan in response as pain ricochets through my body from the impact, and I try to get my body to focus back in on what's happening so that I can stop the monster from attacking Marie and Kyle.

"Kyle, get behind me," Marie orders as the creature hones in on them.

I'm about to scream at them to run away, get as far away as possible, but that isn't necessary. Marie went over to a nearby cabinet and procured a shotgun and aimed it at the creature's chest. Then she pulled the trigger. I watch in awe as the slug hits its target in the center of the chest. The monster pauses and let's out a low growl of confusion before dissolving into dust.

I frown. "How did you do that?" Nico helps me up and I retrieve my weapon from the floor as it transforms back into a ring.

"You can't kill a je rouge with just anything," Marie explains and puts the weapon away again. "Silver bullets work well."

Nico twists that skull ring once again. "Was that some kind of werewolf?"

"Silver bullets....some kind of hairy beast... Sounds like a werewolf to me." I mutter.

"Sort of," Marie answers and goes to put the gun away. "They're called that for their red eyes. Some are people cursed, and others, well, are terrible, terrible people."

My stomach churns with unease at her words.

"You can't go out now, it's not safe out there. You'll stay here the night." Marie insists, and after what we just experienced, neither of us protest.

Nico and I share the guest bedroom that night, and in the dark I feel the exhaustion of the day pulling my eyelids shut as I drift off.

"Reagan?"

"What, Nico?"

He shifts in the dark beside me. "Are you worried about the others?"

"Yes." My response is almost immediately without a second thought. "I worry for everyone."

"Do you think you can really beat Kronos? A Titan?"

This time, my response takes longer to verbalize. "We can. I know we can."

His response is a soft mumble, and I hold my breath and wait patiently until I'm certain he's asleep before carefully climbing out of the bed and crawling over to where our bags are. I pull out the map and a small flashlight to study the markings again.

"Reagan. Reagan! Get up."

I groan groggily, determined to ignore whoever is trying to shake me awake by squeezing my eyes shut more tightly and forcing my breathing to slow back down.