1: Dream

The memory hung over Rhett's head while he slept, turning itself into a dream.

The pair was 13 years old. It was a gorgeous day outside and they planned on utilizing it. They had decided on bike riding to the lake that they had 'discovered' years ago.

It was a popular place for the youth of Buies Creek to go have fun, swim, have a picnic, anything really. It was in the middle of the woods, though there was a dirt road that lead to it.

It was a perfect spot really, and the boys knew it. For the whole day they jumped in the lake doing flips and ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that they had packed earlier at Rhett's house. The sun was glistening on the lake's surface. Serving as a break from the brutal July heat they were going through. The sky was a lovely faded blue with no clouds as far as anyone could see. The grass was a warm green, the yellow sunlight trickling through it to the soil below. The strong trees' leaves allowed the golden rays to fall gently beneath them, the light allowing them to become barely transparent. A gentle gust was constant and offered a little cooling that was much needed. Surprisingly the lake was barren, not a soul besides the two to be found.

They laughed and recollected stories of the school year beforehand. They couldn't have asked for a better day. That was until they were riding home.

The warm evening wrapped them in a blanket surrounded by mosquitoes. They had left the lake in nothing but their swim trunks. They got eaten alive, but that was just the beginning.

Link was riding in front of Rhett when he slammed into a curb on their way back into the neighborhood. He flew forward off of his bike. The once relaxingly quiet evening now seeming like there was no one but them, and now no one there to help. Rhett threw his bike on the ground. Not caring about the empty picnic basket he crushed and storming over to his friend that was now lying on the sidewalk. Rhett grabbed at his side and flipped him over. He was covered in road rash.

"Are you okay?" Rhett called out.

Link hesitated.

"Yeah just uh-" Link winced as Rhett felt one of his hands.

"Yeah I'm good" Link finally whispered out. Rhett looked around to try and remember where they were. A grin grew onto his face.

"Link we're only a block away from your house!" Rhett immediately scooped up his friend as ran as fast as he could back to Link's house, not even attempting to ride his bike because that would be a little hard whilst holding someone.

The faster Rhett got the stronger the grip Link had on Rhett's neck. The sensation had brought tingles to his skin, which made him shiver. Nevertheless, Rhett bounded his way to Link's home. He knocked quickly on the front door. Sue opened.

They all rushed inside and Link was fine, nothing but a few scrapes. Rhett didn't know why the memory had hung over him. Something about the way Link held onto him just kept him from forgetting it.

That's when Rhett's alarm clock cut off the dream and woke him up for school. Rhett threw off his covers knowing that he'd better get up or he'd be late. He couldn't shake the feeling of his heart skipping beats. He ignored it and got ready like nothing was wrong. He slammed down some waffles his mother had made and ran out the door to get on the bus.