3: A Song

Rhett plopped onto his bed.
Home alone?!
He thought to himself. His parents were out, because his brother was sleeping over at one of his friend's houses; they wanted their fun too. He couldn't believe it. Time completely and utterly alone felt so foreign. The house was eerily quiet. It's warmth felt sucked out of it, even though all the warmth came back when Rhett thought of Link. He watched him sing during practice, and the memory hazed on like some sort of time loop. His hair jumping up and down as he did so, was just so hypnotizing. Thank god it was during an instrumental part of a song they were practicing. Otherwise, Rhett would've been toast.
And for what?
Missing my cue because my Clearly Canadian was so enticing from where it rested on the amplifier not to far away? Yeah that's what I would say.
The lie was almost funny. It held such a twang of guilt. Everything he had looked down upon in all his life, was what he was starting to become.
It's not what I think it is, that's all. I'm just...hormonal, yeah. Yeah, it's not me, just my body.
He tried to reason his new found captivation with his friend for hours. The folks would be out for a while. That's when it hit him. That stupid little song he had been working on since he was 15? God it was really about Link. It was silly almost. He told his parents one night it was about his first girlfriend and how he tried so hard to have her notice him, and she did, and to no real avail, but in the deepest pits in himself he knew exactly why he had written it. God, he was so stupid. Falling for someone who could never like him like that too. At least, Rhett thought that.

He was gonna play it. He took his opportunity. No one was home, after all. He scrambled to his feet. He plugged his, bought used, guitar into his amp. His breath was shaky. He strummed the first chord.
______________
He breathed in, then out. His heart was racing. Thoughts and feelings and memories whizzed by in a cluttered mess. The last strum of the guitar was still heard echoing in the amplifier. During his song, in what can only be described as a blur of passion, Rhett was singing his heart out. It was all a little too much almost. Tears formed at the base of his eye, but didn't dare to spill out.
Gosh, this is ridiculous.
One half of his mind told him, the other half was too flustered to function.