1 / The Girl with Hazel Eyes

A dark figure awakens in his bed and opens his bright hazel eyes for the first time in over twelve hours. He had been entranced in painful sleep, dreaming of a strange girl until he was disturbed by a forceful knock against his door. He perks himself up from his deflated pillow and yawns into the sweat of his hand.

"What do you want, Nikky?" the figure calls in a low, monotonous voice. He searches around the black room for he is accustomed to the dark and can see easily in it. A tall woman enters through the door and stands impatient beside the end of his bed. She's upset, and the sleepy figure senses it.

"Christ, do you have any idea what time it is?" The man asks rhetorically.

The woman steals a seat for herself that is a mere inch from her master's feet, folding her arms beneath her breasts with a sigh. "Tell me," She takes a short pause to point at a gaping wound across the man's chest. "Tell me who did this to you, Doron."

Doron releases an exaggerated groan. He knew that this might happen. "Look, I'm not in the mood right now, Nikky. Why don't you ask me again tomorrow—"

"No! Tell me now! Or I'll tell Mason that you disobeyed his orders! We're forbidden from using our powers while he's gone but you used yours anyway!"

The black figure goes into a momentary silence before he cracks a careless smile. "Why don't you go ahead and tell him? I'm not afraid of Mason."

Nikky did not anticipate such a calm reaction from him—definitely not from the mention of 'Mason', their leader. She struggles for words, but Doron shows mercy on her by relieving her of her own imagination.

"I saw a girl in a vision last night; a girl with hazel eyes and curly hair, like me."

Doron shakes his head, in intense recollection of the chilling nightmare. "She was beautiful, but strangely haunting at the same time. When I looked at her, I felt like I was looking into a mirror. I tried to speak with her within her own dream, but she became frightened and attacked me."

Nikky cuts in, unable to withstand another word about this terrifying girl. "B-But that's impossible. Did you not tell me that you were the only person who could deal harm through dreams?"

Doron nods, clearly troubled with the same question.

"Who the fuck is she?!" Nikky hisses, no longer capable of containing herself.

"I have no idea," Doron admits with a heavy breath. "Which is why I asked 'J' to track her down for me." He holds up a finger in front of Nikky and smirks. "He found her. His search only lasted a single day. She's arriving here with him tomorrow morning."

Nikky lowers her hands at her sides and curls her fingers into tight, grinding fists. Her rage is at its fullest and a wicked part of Doron's heart relishes in seeing her this way.

"Will you leave me alone now? You know I need to rest."

Nikky's emotions flood with jealousy the way she barks at her lover like a slobbering hound. "So that's it?! You guys are just gonna invite her here?! Some random girl?! Just like that?! The hell, Doron?! Why are you so bent on helping this stupid bitch?! Does Mason even know about her?!"

For the very first time, Doron's calm demeanor vanishes like daylight. "Mason... isn't... here. He left me in charge until he returns, did he not?! Remember who you're talking to! As long as I'm in command, you will do whatever the fuck I say whether you want to or not!"

Nikky leaps from the mattress and bows her head to the floor in reverence. She is prepared to obey her master's every command, but not before slipping one last trick from the depths of her sleeve.

"Forgive me. Please, at least allow me to 'accompany' you in bed tonight," she presses, squeezing Doron's thigh beneath his sheets.

He moves himself away from her. "Not tonight, Nikky. I need to rest. Please just leave."

A thick vein bulges beneath the translucent skin of Nikky's forehead as she blows hair from her face and marches out of the room, vehemently slamming the door on her way out with nothing important left to say. Doron soon returns to his comfy fetal position in bed, his vivid thoughts wild with awe. He is almost able to fully nullify the stabbing pain within his bandaged chest that will certainly heal overnight. There is somebody like him in the world with powers similar to his. What is her name? What is her story? What will happen when she and he cross paths for the first time?

He falls asleep, fantasizing of meeting the girl in person. He concludes that she might be the missing piece he's been searching for all these years. If this girl lives up to his expectations, he will never let her go.