Departure

It was a quarter to 11AM, the Blue Express had yet to arrive at the station. I looked around at the many people who were also waiting for the train. The train was due to arrive at 11AM at Gare du Nord station here in Paris. I was accompanied by one of my closest friends, Laura. We were on our way to Blue City. "Is there going to be wi-fi on the train?" Laura asked. I laughed, "I don't think so." "Damn it.." She mumbled.

the Blue Express pulled up to the station a few minutes later. Laura raced onto the train and I ran after her. We got in our first-class booth towards the back of the train.

Inside the booth were two quaint little seats with a nice table. Laura saw the menu and immediately grabbed it. "Do they have iced coffee?" She asked while racing through the menu. "We can check in the dining car later on after the train departs." I say to her. The ticket inspector knocked on our booth, I answered the door.

He lifted his hole puncher into the air, "Tickets?" he says. I pass him our tickets. He punches two holes in them before handing them back to us. I take a glance at his nametag. "Axel," it reads. I smile and nod right before he takes off. The conductor begins talking over the intercom, "This is Conductor Monty speaking. We will now be departing Gare du Nord. Enjoy the ride."

Laura pulls out her phone and starts texting her boyfriend. She tells him that we'll be there by tomorrow morning. I smile at her. "Want to head to the dining car now? We can get ice coffee." I ask her. "Yes!" She exclaims.

 I laugh just before making my way towards the dining car. Laura follows. Laura opens the door to the dining car where most of the passengers reside. I pull up a seat at the counter.

She heads over to the barista and orders. "Can I have a large iced coffee, eight pumps of caramel swirl, and extra cream, please!" she says very fast. I look at her with widened eyes. The barista makes her coffee and hands it to her. She comes over to sit with me. My eyes are caught on someone on the other side of the car.

Laura turns to see what I'm looking at. "Are you looking at him? 'cause he's hot." she whispers to me. "Maybe.." I replied to her, holding back a laugh. I get startled as some woman comes and sits next to me. I look at her and grin. She extends her hand out for a handshake and introduces
herself. "Hey, I'm Lana." She says to me.

I shake her hand. "Caleb." I say to her. She waves the bartender over and orders a drink. "Put it on my tab." she tells the bartender, you can tell that she's tired. The bartender's name tag catches Laura's eye. "Mahdi." it says, written over some other name. Mahdi hands the beverage to Lana. "Cheers." She says to me, raising her glass.

"Don't you think it's a bit too early for that?" Laura question her because it's only 11:30 AM. I nod my head, agreeing with Laura. Lana dismisses us and practically gulps down her drink.