two;hate u,love u

song for chapter: i hate u, i love u, by olivia o'brien + gnash.

ariella's point of view:

surprisingly i fell asleep quickly last night, even with grayson on my mind.

the first thing i done this morning was check my phone, the only messages that appeared were from my mom and rylee.

mom; good morning beautiful, i'm going to come see you this week, can't wait to hug you.

my mom was a very loving person, after everything went down with grayson, she made sure to call me every day and check up on me.

even though i only live 30 minutes away from my family, we've had hardly any time to see each other. the last time i saw her, dad and jordan,my 17 year old brother was 3 weeks ago.

i smile at the text, ensuring that i reply to her before checking what rylee has said.

rylee; i'm picking you up at 5, after work, be ready

i laugh at her forwardness and finally give in to meet her later in the day.

my eyes glance towards my pillow that i was previously sleeping on. lifting the material, my notebook is revealed.

memories of last night erupted in my mind, me writing that letter to grayson, wanting to do it again.

i wonder if he will ever read the letter, or even acknowledge my gesture. he probably doesn't miss me like i miss him.

next thing i knew, i had a black ballpoint pen in my right hand and it was pressed into another page.

dear grayson,

do you remember when we would be adventurous and go to the places that we grew to love?

i've still got sand in my sweaters from those nights at the beach, when it was just you and i.

you probably don't miss me like i miss you, and i hate you for that. but i still fucking love you.

love, ariella.

as it was the weekend, i had no work. my job was a five day job each week, working in a fashion boutique had always been something i wanted to achieve.

as for grayson, i hope he kept his other job he had when we were together; teaching kids how to play sports.

he would always work so well with kids.

we would always talk about our future. i thought he was going to be the father of my children. the one i'd marry.

i guess not. funny how i thought that.

i check my phone one last time, now seeing another text appear on the screen.

ethan; meet me for coffee? i haven't seen you in three months and i miss you

ariella; sure, send me the address and i'll meet you there, i have to be back by 5 though.

__

dressed in my blue high waisted jeans and a cropped tee, i was outside of the coffee shop that i agreed to meet ethan at.

ethan; go inside, i'm running late but i'll be there soon.

i smile and out my phone back in the pocket of my jeans. opening the glass door of the shop i make the small bell make a ringing sound.

stepping inside i see a couple of empty tables. i choose the one in the far corner that would seat two people.

as i wait, i couldn't help but wonder if grayson knew that i was meeting with ethan. the last time i saw ethan was the day before grayson left me.

ethan was my bestfriend, but i always understood that he had to be there for his brother more than for me.

the ringing of the bell distracted me from my thoughts, initiating that someone had walked through the doors.

i turned to look if it was ethan, and to my luck it was him.

his eyes scanned the room for a few seconds before landing on the table that i was sat. i smiled and he returned the gesture.

i go to hug my once best friend and he opens his arms wide so i could do so.

"it's been so long ethan" i say, my words muffled due to my head being pressed into his chest.

"i can agree with you on that ari" he smiles as he pulls away. "let me order our drinks then we can talk... what do you want?" ethan asks me.

i tell him my order and thank him for paying afterwards. within the time of three minutes, ethan returns back to the table.

__

"so are you living on your own now?" ethan asks me, taking a sip from his iced coffee. (w almond milk tho obviously duh)

"yeah, i moved from the previous apartment since i couldn't afford it by myself, but rylee visits most days" i answer. "i'm guessing you and gray are still living together" i say and he nods.

it would be embarrassing if he wasn't living with him, the letter wouldn't have got to him.

"can i ask you something ethan?" i wonder. "of course ari" ethan replies and i smile taking a deep breath.

"did grayson receive a letter by any chance?" i ask. ethan's eyebrows furrow before shaking his head.

"what type of letter?". "one from me, i wrote him a letter last night" i admit and he gives me sorry eyes.

"since you sent it last night, he probably hasn't seen it yet... but why are you doing this to yourself ari" ethan begins.

"you're just hurting your heart by trying to get him back" ethan says. "i'm not trying to get him back" i lie. "i just want to remind him of some things".

there was a silence after that conversation, but we managed to move onto a different topic.

__

3;45 rolled around and that's when we both decided it would be best to head back to our own places.

"i'll see you around e, i've missed you so much" i say after giving him another hug.

he returns the gesture and begins to walk away. but that's when i shout for his name.

ethan turns around and looks at me confused. "can you give this to him... please, it's just like the other one" i tell him.

i hand him the second letter i wrote.

"please don't read it, i just want him to see it, even if he won't care" and after saying that we say our goodbyes again. the letter in his hand.

__
☁️🕊🌫