Chapter 3: Family Parties and Coffee Shop Run-Ins

As time goes by we learn to forgive and forget. I've done it many times in my lifetime but sometimes I get tired of being the only one trying.

William's mom, Mrs. Cavalier, has made it very clear she doesn't like me nor will she ever approve of me. According to her I'm a bad influence on her son and I won't ever be good enough. But she would never tell that to William face to face. Instead she's the type of person to throw indirects around and be very passive aggressive. For William's sake I ignore everything and try to move on, basically give her the benefit of the doubt even though it's pretty clear, but sometimes I wish I could let it all out.

"Are you ready?" William asks as he fixes his watch.

Mrs. Cavalier called us earlier this week to let us know that she was throwing William a party for his birthday.

I walk up to William and pull him by his jacket closer towards me. "I am but I'm sure they wouldn't mind if we arrive there a little late."

He smiles but the ringing of his phone causes him to pull away.

"Hello?"

"Yes we're on our way"

"I'm excited to see you too"

"Okay bye"

"Let's go then" I say as I grab my bag and walk out of the door.

The ride towards his mother's house was quiet as I was a bit annoyed at her perfect interruption. If you're wondering why we're engaged if she's so opposed to it? Well it's because she believes William will come to his senses. That and William believes that she'll 'come around.'

Once the car stops I know we've arrived and I feel like I'm going to throw up. The mansion like house takes up almost a whole block. Kind of hard to miss if you walk by.

"You ready?" William asks as he turns to look at me with concerned eyes. I only smile because I'm afraid if I try to speak I'll probably throw up from the nerves.

As soon as we walk inside William slides his hand around my waist and pulls me against his body. Although his mother makes me want to leave and never come back, William has been my rock since we met and he's the only reason I even come anywhere near this house. I'd do anything for him, even if it means letting his mom throw all of the punches she wants at me without any retaliation.

"William!" Mrs. Cavalier yells as she makes her way through the crowd to her son. Once she reaches us she gives him a big hug and the smile on William's face makes my nerves go away. When they pull away, Mrs. Cavalier gives her back to me before she talks to William.

"I'm so happy you're here! I have the most wonderful news" She says with excitement as I remain in my spot quietly. William must've noticed because he just stared at his mom. "Oh I'm sorry I didn't see you there. Hello Larkin" She says with a fake smile. Everyone could tell it was fake, everyone except William. "As I was saying someone wonderful is back in town and-"

"William!" I hear a high pitched voice say from literally nowhere. We all look to see a blonde petite girl make her way towards us. Almost identically like Mrs. Cavalier, she engulfs William in a big hug and once she's done she gives her back to me as she talks to William. "I'm so happy I got to see you. You were actually the one person I wanted to see"

Seeing William smile that big made my heart hurt a little. It was one of those moments in which you saw the person you love look at someone in a way they've never looked at you. He's filled with genuine happiness and it brings tears to my eyes as I realize he doesn't even notice I'm still in the room.

After a few minutes of being ignored I make my way through the crowd until I reach the backyard. It feels like I'm walking through a park as I walk past an endless amount of trees. I finally reach a water fountain that's hidden behind a bunch of bushes.