Worth Taking the Compliment // Tyler WG

*Warning: this chapter is really long lol*

~

"Tyler, Tyler Joseph?" I ask questioningly, looking into the face of the kid I once knew. He looks surprised, like he wasn't prepared.

"Yeah, uh, hi." Tyler says, breaking the eye contact we had, smiling embarrassedly.

"Sorry, I don't even know if you remember me, I'm Josh, we want to high school together." I say, feeling bad about springing myself on him.

"Yeah, I know." He says, grabbing his elbows awkwardly. It's sorta cute though, he's wearing an orange sweatshirt and black jeans and boots.

"You look great." I say, actually really into the weight he's put on since high school. He always used to be really skinny and quiet. But I guess the quiet part hasn't changed to much.

He gives me an expression like he's saying "yeah fucking right." But smiles courteously at me afterwards, like he realized he shouldn't do that.

"So do you." He says, but I can tell he doesn't wanna be here talking to me.

"Thanks, thanks, uh so how've you been?" I ask, giving him a warm smile. God, he does look really good.

"Um, okay... I'm not trying to be rude or anything but why are you talking to me? We hardly talked in high school, the group you hung out with used to beat the shit out of me." Tyler says, kinda frustrated but he hides it the best he can. I think I'm making him uncomfortable.

"Look, I like you Tyler, I've always liked you. High school was stupid. We're adults now." I say, feeling bad but I don't want him to leave. I don't really know what to say.

"You're right, I'm sorry." Tyler says, rubbing his knuckles.

"It's okay, but I get it, high school was pretty shitty for you wasn't it?" I ask him, understanding that he went through a lot. I remember seeing the cuts on Tyler's arms when his sleeve failed to stay down once. He used to go to the school consular a lot.

"Yeah." He says, quickly, swallowing and looking up as if he was trying to contain himself before looking back at me. His lips curl up into a smile but his eyes aren't smiling. "It's okay."

"Are you free by any chance? Would you want to get coffee with me?" I ask him, stuffing a lose strand of hair into my snap back.

"Well- yeah, sure, why not."

And with that we got coffee at a little coffee shop near by.

"So what do you do these days?" I ask Tyler, as we sit down. I watch him as he sighs, thinking and he adjusts his jeans and shirt.

"Well, I have an office job, which is really boring but I'm also trying to pursue music." Tyler says, resting his cheek on his hand.

"Oh, you do music? Are you in a band?" I ask him, genuinely interested.

"No, not really, I mainly just write and play music by myself. I play with two friends of mine once in awhile." Tyler says, tapping his fingers on the table softly and looking at the other people at tables.

"Oh, cool, I'd like to hear it sometime." I say, but I notice how much that made Tyler cringe.

"Ah, I dunno, I never really show anyone my music because I don't think it's that great." Tyler says, laughing softly at his comment. I frown at his negativity toward his music.

"It's probably really good." I say, looking at Tyler and I want him to look at me but when he finally does he glances away quickly like he's unsure.