4- Finally and Forever

DASAN—

I avoided Nibs all night, and planned to leave early the next morning. Though I wouldn't get to say goodbye to him, to the man I loved with my entire being, I knew it was the right thing to do. It was the right thing, because it was the only way I knew to protect my Nibs from the future being with me would bring.

Scorn.

Hatred.

Disgust.

Loneliness.

We would never be accepted, never be allowed to truly be together, as a man could be with a woman. We would live half lives, never able to settle down and be together. Never able to be a part of any kind of friendships or community. Ostracized and hated.

I couldn't do that to my best friend.

I wouldn't.

The night before had been a mistake. A wonderful, incredible, orgasmic mistake. But a mistake nonetheless.

And now, I would leave Nibley behind so he could forget me and move on. Find a woman to love and grow old with, have babies with and care for.

The thought had me both angry and resentful. He could move on, because my leaving him would anger him and he would have to move past me, but I knew I never could.

Nibley was my great love. My soul mate. And I would never have another. I knew that like I knew the sun would rise in a few hours.

Having said goodbye to my family the night before, I saddled my stallion Dave in the dewy pre-dawn hours silently and made my way out of my family's stables. I prayed to the gods that I would return someday, and that when I did, I would be strong enough to face Nibley and what would undoubtedly be a beautiful family.

My prayer wasn't even finished when I froze in my tracks, horrified and elated by the sight that caught my eye at the edge of the forest.

Nibley, his sweet mare Unicorn saddled and packed with a simple saddle bag and one of my pa's swords. The man stared me down, his legs spread in a defensive stance, steady and waiting for whatever I threw at him.

I felt my resolve faltering as I neared him, his beautiful, pure face set in stone. Gods, I loved him. How had I never known how very much I loved him? In what way I loved him?

"You're mine, Dasan Sarleno. No matter what you say or do, you're mine. I'll not give you up for another, I'll not let you leave me behind. You've belonged to me since you left your ma's womb, and I'll follow you to the four hells and back, if that's what I've gotta do to convince your idiot brain that your ass and your heart and your soul, and everything in between, are mine."

"Nibs," I began, shaking my head and feeling my cheeks heat at his firm, steady words. "That kind of life— the life of men who... I can't, Nibs. I can't see you hurt like that. They won't accept, they won't understand."

"When have we ever cared what others thought, Dassie?" he asked, his voice just a little softer, just a little more pleading. "We've spent our entire lives not caring what others think. Why do you want to start now?"

"Because I don't want to see you hurt!" I hissed, praying he would listen to reason; praying he wouldn't.

Fight for me! I wanted to scream. Let me be selfish. Gods, Nibs, I want to be selfish.

I want you.

I want you.

I want you.

"I want you," Nibley said, his voice husky, gentle, low and breathy. His words an exact copy of what my brain was screaming. "I want you, I love you, and whatever the world throws at us, I'll be happy and we'll be alright, as long as we're together.