Chapter 1

30 years later...

Leon was chatting with his wife while having breakfast when his son, Alejandro, walked into the room, giving him a hug and his mom a kiss on the cheek.

"How are you, son?" Leon asked Alejandro. 

When Carson offered his help years ago, Leon's life changed. His shipping company rose to be one of the leading shipping companies in America. It was a success and soon they were able to expand it internationally. 25 years after, he stepped down as the CEO of the company, and handed it over to his son. So, Alejandro took over and in the course of 5 years, he was able to push Quinns Shipping Company to reach greater heights. He couldn't be prouder of his boy.

"It's doing great, dad! By the way, I want you and mom to meet someone," as Alejandro said that, Leon took notice of the girl beside his son. "Mom, Dad, this is Hailey, my girlfriend."

At the mention of a girlfriend, Leon froze and remembered his agreement with Carson. 

As if it was a divine intervention, Leon's phone rang, and the caller I.D. read "Carson."

It looked like he had some catching up to do with his best friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leon sat in the same old burger joint he went to 30 years ago. Across from him was Carson. He still looked the same, save for the now salt and pepper hair and a few wrinkles by his eyes. 

"How are you, man?" Leon asked, happy to see his best friend after 20 years. Carson and Amelia had a baby girl five years after they made the arrangement. They were filled with so much joy when Esther came into their lives. However, life had to be cruel. A bombing at a gallery stole a 5-year old girl's mother and a loving husband's wife. Amelia's death brought great sorrow. With Amelia gone, Carson lost a piece of himself. He shut everyone out, including his best friend.

In the end, too many memories in America and a desperate need for a change in scenery pushed Carson to pack things up and move to London with his daughter. There they had a fresh start and Carson was even able to build a branch of his law firm. 

Carson gave him a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes and replied, "I'm good, Leon. It's been what? 20 years? Damn don't you look old."

Leon chuckled at his best friend's jibe. "I can say the same for you, grandpa."

Carson let out a soft laugh and said, "Actually, that's one of the reasons I came back. I want to be a grandfather. I hope you remember our agreement."

Leon remembered. They might be best friends, but business was business. They drew up a contract. His son and his daughter are to be married, and if he does not follow through with the arrangement, then they would lose Quinns Shipping Company. It would be handed over to the Andersons. 

"Yes, I remember. How's Esther?" He asked. The last time he saw her was when she was 5. She was pretty little thing. Polite and quiet.

"She's doing great. She's the CFO of the company now. She didn't like the idea of us moving back here, but she said she'd give this a chance. Of course I had to play the 'old-man' card," Carson chuckled as he remembered his daughter.

"I can't wait to meet her. I doubt she remembers me though," Leon replied, genuinely excited to see his future daughter-in-law.

"Don't worry. You and Alejandro will meet her soon."