Chapter 3

Esther stood by the door of the hotel ballroom, welcoming philanthropists, business people, and other guests. Tonight was a special night. It was the the anniversary of her mother's death. In its honor, his father organized a charity event for the homeless. There were sculptures, painting, and other art works created by both local and world famous artists.  

The room was buzzing with music and light chatter, when Esther decided to walk around and take a look at the art pieces. Her feet took her to the painting on the east side. It was a painting of a dahlia flower. It was splashed with yellows, reds, and oranges while it was surrounded with black paint. It seemed alive. It was beautiful.

"Amelia Anderson. Honor. 1997." A voice spoke beside her.

"The dahlia is a symbol of dignity, elegance and inner strength...hence its title," she replied.

"Anderson. Was it her?"

"Yes. My mother was a painter. Tonight is for her so we decided to sell some of her works. We know she would be happy if the proceeds from her painting would go to a greater cause," she replied, thankful that her voice was steady and not betraying her facade.

Seconds passed when she heard him say, "Beautiful."

"It is," she replied and for the first time that night, she turned and saw Alejandro looking straight at her.

"I meant you, but of course the painting is also beautiful." 

Esther fought the blush that was induced by his comment as she changed the topic. "So are your parents here? I haven't met them yet."

"They're running a bit late, but they'll be here."

"Finally, Alejandro Quinns in the flesh," Esther's dad joined the conversation.

Alejandro faced him with a smile and said, "How have you been, Mr. Anderson?"

"I'm great! My you really have grown to be a fine young man," Her father chuckled and patted Alejandro on the back. He looked happy to see his daughter's future husband.

"Thank you, sir." Alejandro replied.

"You okay, nugget?" Carson asked her daughter.

Esther chuckled at the mention of her childhood nickname. "I'm find, dad."

"Alright. I'll see you later. I'll go talk to other guests." He kissed her forehead and nodded at Alejandro.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

She really did look beautiful. Tonight though, she didn't look like the innocent girl nor the business woman he met a few nights ago. Her red dress made her look glorious, but her eyes showed young lady whose heart was silently grieving. It was after all her mother's death anniversary.

Alejandro offered his arm as they walked around the room, looking at the other art pieces. "So our charade begins tonight huh," she said while touching the material of a gown in display.

"Yeah, I guess. You know I-"

Alejandro was cut off by a voice that boomed behind them. "Esther."

He heard Esther's soft gasp after the both of them turned to see who called her name.

"Wow you look beautiful. Even more beautiful than the last time I saw you," the man smiled at Esther while completely ignoring Alejandro.

Alejandro felt Esther's grip on his arm get a little stronger as she replied, "Mason. Hi-"

Alejandro didn't pay attention to the pair's conversation as he examined the intruder. He was well-built. He had brown curly hair, brown eyes, and he looked like he was Esther's age. 

Alejandro's thoughts drifted to his age difference with Esther. 'Does she mind that I'm 5 years older than her?' He was starting to compare himself with this boy-next-door and he didn't like it. He was taken out of his trance when he heard his name.

"-and this is Alejandro. Alejandro, this is Mason," Esther introduced them to each other as Mason offered him a smile and a handshake. 

'Of course this guy had to have dimples,' Alejandro thought as his shook the guy's hand, his face stoic.

Sensing Alejandro's 'warm' welcome, Mason bid goodbye to the both of them before walking away. 'Yeah walk away, kid," Alejandro thought. 

"So who's the dude?" He asked Esther, curious as to who this guy is to Esther.

Esther sighed. "Mason was my boyfriend back in college. Actually, he's the only boyfriend I ever had. Well aside from you if you want to consider yourself as my boyfriend," she chuckled as she looked up at Alejandro.

"So who broke up with who?" Alejandro asked.

"Hmmm I guess I did. It's complicated, and that's a story for another day," Esther replied and continued to walk, bringing Alejandro along due to their linked arms.

Alejandro dropped the topic as he analyzed what happened minutes ago. He didn't like Mason with his boyish looks. He wasn't happy to find out that he was Esther's ex. But most of all, he was shocked to find himself quite jealous and dare he say insecure. Esther and him don't have a romantic relationship. Also, he has a girlfriend. Well, an ex now, but that's besides the point. 

He cleared his thoughts of this Mason guy and whatever feelings he have, and just enjoyed the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Esther was surprised to see Mason. She haven't seen him for years. Memories of her college days filled her mind, but she was brought back to reality when she heard someone say her name for the nth time tonight. 

"Esther, my dear, is that really you?" A man with salt and pepper hair greeted her with the biggest smile she's ever seen.

Alejandro chuckled and said, "Yes, dad. This is Esther."

Esther smiled back and said, "It's good to finally meet you Mr. and Mrs. Quinns."

"Please, just Leon or dad if you would like," Leon replied while shaking Esther's hand.

"Oh and it's just Isabel or mama," Alejandro's mother said, with a hint of a Greek accent.

Esther smiled at the beautiful woman. She was taller than her and she had olive skin. Esther was admiring her when she was pulled into a warm tight hug. For a moment, Esther was stunned. She didn't expect the gesture from Alejandro's mother. Esther never had a mother figure, and for the fist time in a very long time, she welcomed a mother's embrace. She closed her eyes and returned the hug. Even for just a second, she allowed herself to pretend that it was her mother's arms wrapped around her.

Esther blinked away the tears that wanted to escape. She broke the hug and excused herself, saying she had to check up on other things. She then walked away, almost running away to find solace somewhere where no eyes would be watching.