Chapter 14: Figures

Jane shifted around in a pair of jeans, stained tank top, and button down shirt. Being in a concrete room wasn't reassuring that agreeing to come was the best choice.

Suddenly, the door opened, making her jump at the sound her adrenaline continued to pump through her veins. It was the lady officer from before. Relaxing slightly as the woman sat down.

"Really are a jumpy one huh?"

"Can I leave now?" Jane said annoyed at the question.

"You're probably the weirdest case I've had Ms. Moore. No record, no birth certificate, nothing, not even a photo until a couple months ago." The lady ran her fingers through her hair. "The fact is, we know why this is, what we don't know is who. So who did this Jane?"

"They don't really have a name."

"What?" The woman made a perplexed face.

"They are always men in pure white suits. The ones who know these people well call them the Phantom Organization."

"Hold on." The lady leaned forward. "Why did they want some kid? I get it you have powers and what not but what's there to gain?"

"Their main goal is basically world domination and I don't need to be babysat by some orphanage or a foster family when I can stop it."

The lady laughed. "What makes you think that a kid, even with powers, can take down a powerful organization? My suggestion is to leave it to us."

Jane stood up. "If I leave it to you then more people will die."

"Sit back down." The officer growled.

Jane sat down and crossed her arms as she calmly said "You rip out the bigwigs and the support beams then you see the shadows that were there."

"You're still 17! You're still a minor. Now, I'm going to let you meet the people who are waiting to be your new guardians and you will not even think about taking this Phantom down. You will smile and live your life instead of spending your time in a mental facility for your stunt yesterday." The woman straight her uniform and slammed the door.

Her briefcase and her suit were in the corner of the room. Security camera in two corners. To disable both would give enough time for someone to burst in and stop her. Last thing she needed was people putting 1 and 1 together and see her as a murder.

"She's right in here. Just a warning, Jane seems like someone who is quite stubborn. She has also proven to be someone with a temper not to mention combat skills. I recommend 24 hour surveillance for the next couple of weeks. Maybe get her to a doctor and psychologist while your at it." It was the female officer talking behind the door.

"We'll make sure she's safe ma'am." Reply an unfamiliar voice.

"Perhaps we should go in one by one so we don't overwhelm the kid Scott."

"Alright. I'll go in first."

The door cracked open before 3 small knocks could be heard and a young man with short dark brown hair smile could be seen.

"Hey there." He talked like she was some cornered animal. "I'm Scott."

"Nice to meet you. I heard the conversation at the door by the way." She snapped and brought her knees to her chest and curled up in the chair. "So you can just leave."

Scott closed the door. "Sorry, can't do that."

"Who are you really? Why are you interested in me?" Jane glared at him.

"A friend over here had some trouble with you, he called me and the rest of my crew over here to handle it." He shrugged. "I don't know why you do the things you do but if you just try-"

"Your the other team?" Jane's eyes got big and she jumped up. "Iwix sent you?"

"He did but he also said about the loyalty you showed when they captured Nick and your strategy shown in training." He stood near the door. " I know that you have no clue what my powers are either, that's why you haven't attack or tried to make a run for it."

She clenched her fists. "You don't know anything."

"Calm down, just calm down. We don't want any trouble especially here." A hand was open and in front of him. "Let's go meet the others."

Jane grabbed her brifcase and stood instead of taking it. "Not like it would be hard getting away from you." Jane crossed her arms. "I'm not going to make it easy either.

Scott dropped his arm and laughed. "Alright, you can come in now."

Three other people came in. One female with long, show white hair put up in a bun, one male with curly red hair and beard , and one male with abnormally bright green. None of them looked too buff or skinny and were in average clothes.

They started introducing themselves.

"Mae" Said the white haired woman energetically .

"People call me Axel." Said the red headed guy with a wink.

"Nathan, but just call me Nate." The green haired guy said with s big smile/.

"Jane." She gave an awkward smile back just as the officer commented.

"All right we'll keep her out of trouble, I have things to do people!"

"Here, let me get that for you." Said Scott as he reachers at her bag.

Jane jerked it back slightly. " I got it." She said sharply and her smile disappeared.

They piled out of the room and to the front desk. Just as Scott was signing something Jane could sense the tension that rose in the cluster of people. Everything felt on edge, everyone seemed to be holding their breath, and everywhere felt dangerous.