Four

After having lunch with Nancy and Jonathan, Daisy went to the gymnasium to watch Steve play basketball. Having a free period herself, Nancy decided to join her as well. They chatted about the possibility of having a girls' night just the two of them. Daisy thought it would be perfect: she would tell Dustin to go sleep at Lucas' or Will's and her mom would have a relaxing evening with none of her children hanging around.

"So..." Nancy turned to Daisy, smirking. "You have lessons with the new kid, Billy?"

"Yes...?" Her friend's answer sounded more like a question than an actual answer. She just didn't know why she was asking such a question and what to respond. "Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering." Nancy's reply didn't convince Daisy one bit, so she continued with her answer. The bleachers slowly started being filled, which was quite unusual. Usually, it was up to ten people at a time. "I heard him talk about you."

Daisy blushed and furrowed her brows. "When did you hear this?"

"Yesterday while I was putting my stuff back into my locker." she replied and turned her head to look at the players that came out from the boys' changing rooms. She grinned and yelled, "Woo! Go Steve!"

Daisy frowned and also looked at the players. When she saw Billy amongst the players, her eyes widened. "The hell...?" she whispered to herself.

"Hmm?"

"Billy didn't show up to any of the classes." Daisy replied, not taking her eyes off of him. Of course, he's shirtless. she thought, rolling her eyes and sighing. Most of his teammates were as well, but she had to admit, Billy's built chest had all of them beat at once.

"I saw him making out with Kelly Lebowitz on my way to the darkroom." Nancy replied, making a disgusted face. "And yesterday, he was with Lexi from the cheerleading squad." She scoffed. "He is such a man-whore."

"Yeah... he is..." Daisy replied, not paying much attention to Nancy but rather focusing on the game, which seemed to be pretty heated. Steve dribbled the ball several times as Billy stood in a stance position across from him to take the ball from him.

"Come on, pretty princess!" Billy shouted tauntingly at Steve. He grinned toothily, licking his upper lip. "Throw the goddamn ball, Harrington!"

Steve exhaled rapidly three times before he bounced the ball to the side to try and divert Billy's attention, but instead the latter elbowed him aggressively, and the ball flew up in the air, landing in Billy's hand. His teammates cheered on him and he jumped as high as he could to shoot and score. Steve and his team groaned in frustration. The game went on with Billy constantly focusing on blocking or shoving Steve to the ground.

Daisy had had enough by the third round.

"What the heck!" she yelled to the sports teacher, Mr Powell, who was acting as referee and coach, standing on her feet. Everyone turned to look at her, including Billy, who smirked and chewed his gum obnoxiously. "That was clearly a foul!"

"Sit down, Ms Henderson! This isn't your game!" Mr Powell shouted back. Daisy's fingers curled into fists as she sat down and the game continued.

"I swear to god if Billy pushes him one more time--" Daisy barely finished saying 'time' when Billy shoved Steve aside so hard the whole gymnasium echoed with a thud sound and Steve groaning. "Okay, that's it!"

She stood up, taking her bag along. "Wait! Daisy!" Nancy called at her, but she was already halfway down the bleachers, huffing. Daisy rushed to Steve's side, kneeling down.

"Are you okay?!" she asked frantically, searching for any visible injuries or broken bones. "Hell, if he hurt you..."

Steve smiled weakly. "I'm fine." When she still looked unconvinced, he added, "Really."

"Yeah, Henderson..." She glared up at Tommy H, his arms crossed across his bare chest, joined by his male posse on one side and Billy to the other, still smirking. "Your boyfriend's okay. Maybe you can give him a job or two to make him feel better, hm?"

Daisy quickly helped Steve up on his feet, blushing. She looked around to see whether anyone from the bleachers had heard what he said. Luckily, nobody did. Nancy gave her a signal that she would wait for her by the doors and Daisy gave her a slight nod in response.

"No wait, Tommy... isn't she, like, a prude or something?" another boy laughed. Billy's smirk faltered. He was all for taunting Steve Harrington - he seemed like such an easy target - but a girl? And in front of so many boys?

No. No, he did not like that. Billy frowned, looking away from her doe eyes. Was he becoming soft...? He couldn't be, could he? He's Billy fucking Hargrove: the womanizing bad boy from California.

"Tommy, just stop it." Billy told him, earning some very confused glares from the rest of his team and a very small, thankful smile from Daisy. He wanted to save her so badly. It could redeem him somehow, for all that he had done in the past. But then his father's voice popped in his head, calling him a weakling. A mama's boy.

I. Am. Not. Fucking. Soft. he thought and smirked devilishly. "Can't you see she's almost wet in her knickers just thinking about what she would do to us in the showers?"

Daisy felt like time and sound had stood still. Her heart pounded heavily as she averted her eyes, letting go of Steve's hand. The boys sniggered, making foul comments about what a weirdo she was and how they'd rather have sex with their History teacher than let her anywhere near them.

She didn't think Billy would go that far. Actually... yes, she did. He was an asshole, and she'd had enough of those in her lifetime. One too many.

"Daisy..." Steve spoke softly, seeing tears stream down her cheeks. She ran out of the gymnasium, almost knocking Nancy over, who quickly recovered and ran after her friend. Steve turned slowly to face Billy, who was smirking and chewing his gum. "You think this is funny, Hargrove?!"

"Actually... I think it's amusing, pretty boy." he replied, taking his gum out of his mouth and pressing it hard against Steve's gym shirt before walking away. The rest of the teams awkwardly went back to the locker rooms to shower and change, followed by a very angry Steve, who elbowed Billy aggressively to pass in front of him.

Billy didn't mind that. In fact, he deserved more than just a shove.

I fucked up.

*

Any comments and upvotes would be very appreciated! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!