Twelve

It's been a hot minute so please be nice!

*

"Oh, my god... What happened?" Daisy whispered loudly, noticing a nasty cut on his lower lip and a bruised cheek. She leaned down, about to brush her fingers over his cheek to inspect the bruise but Billy slapped her hand away almost immediately. "Billy--"

"I had to leave that place." was all he said before reaching for the door handle. Daisy jumps back he rolled up the window and got out of the car.

"I-I kinda have--"

"You have what?... Fuck." Billy muttered when he turned around and saw that she had guests. "Sorry, I-I didn't know... I'll just go." He looked down, about to take his car key out to drive off, but Daisy stopped him, lowering the hand holding his keys. 

"It's okay, Billy. You can stay." she smiled reassuringly. When he looked back at her friends, she sighed. "They'll be okay. Come on."

Billy furrowed his brows, not given enough time to react as Daisy gently pulled him by the wrist up to her house, where they were met by very confused looks from Robin and Nancy. Daisy smiled at them apologetically, telling Billy to sit in the living room so  she could speak to her friends.

"What happened?" Nancy asked softly as her and Robin huddled around Daisy.

"He looks like he got into a nasty fight." Robin chimed in, earning a soft 'duh' look from Nancy.

"He has a... complicated... relationship with his dad." Daisy explained. "They fight a lot and sometimes it can get very heated and, well, physical."

"Fuck." Robin muttered, looking down and shaking her head. "So what now? Let a boy crash our sleepover?"

"No..." Daisy paused, looking over Nancy's shoulder and at Billy, who had his face buried in his hands. She could hear him mumble a few words. It didn't take a genius to figure out he was cursing himself for crashing a sleepover. "Let me at least hear what he has to say."

"We'll let you two talk." Nancy smiled softly, linking her arm with Robin's and they both walked into the direction of Daisy's bedroom. Daisy sighed and walked over to Billy, sitting next to him. Before she could open her mouth to speak, Billy huffed and stood up abruptly.

"I should go."

"No!" she insists, grabbing him by the elbow. "Billy, you're hurt. At least let me take a look at that cut for you."

"I don't want to ruin your night with your friends."

"You're not ruining anything, Billy. Please. Stay for a bit." It took Billy a few seconds to relax his tensed body and sit back down. But he didn't say anything for what seemed like an eternity.

"Where do I even begin?" he scoffed as Daisy went into the bathroom to get the first aid kit. "It's always somethin' with dad." He turned to face Daisy as she dabbed a damp cloth onto his cut lip, causing him to wince.

"Don't move." Daisy murmured, scrunching her nose in concentration. Billy nodded and let her do her thing, subtly admiring how caring she was towards him despite his outburst at Byers' birthday... whatever it was. "Okay, keep this on your lip. I'm gonna go grab something cold for your bruise."

She quickly got up and ran into the kitchen and grabbed a bag of peas from the freezer.

"Thanks." Billy mumbled, dropping the damp cloth on his lap and taking the frozen bag in his hand, pressing it against his bruised cheek. After a long minute of silence, Daisy cleared her throat. "Right, um--"

Nancy peaked her head shyly. "Sorry, uh, we're out of chips so... I came to get.. some..." Daisy looked down, blushing because she knew her friends was there to eavesdrop, or attempt to. "Don't mind me. I'll be in and out."