The baby

Dick came into the precinct one day to see a crowd around Amanda's desk. Curious, he walked over to see what was going on. There seemed to be plenty of excitement, so it wasn't bad. Of course, being the short person he was, he had to push through the crowd to see it.

Amanda was holding a baby. A small baby, maybe two months old. It was sleeping, and was wrapped in a small blanket. "New baby? I didn't know you had been pregnant, Amanda." Dick chuckled. "Not mine. We found it on patrol, just in the street. I'm holding onto it until social services can get over here, or until the parents are found."

"Do you mind?" Dick held his arms out. "Not at all. Here." Amanda gently handed it to him. He cradled it to his chest, a smile on his face. It was so small! Nice to see I'm not the only small person in this building. "Guy or girl?" "Girl."

The baby opened its eyes. "Hey, bud. How're you?" Dick whispered. The baby laughed and reached for Dick's face. "You're a baby whisperer?" "No. I just asked a question."

"Dada." Dick froze. "Did she just?" "That she did. Congrats, Dickie, you've graduated to Dad." Brutus smiled. Her striking blue eyes glittered with joy. "Well, we've gotta give you a name, don't we?" "We haven't come up with one. Couldn't stop arguing about it." "Well, in that case, how about Mara?"

Dick held his finger out. Mara grabbed it and giggled. Dick's heart melted. This little girl thought he was her daddy. She had no hair yet, but he could imagine her with any color.

"You ok, Grayson? You look like you might collapse." "Yeah, I'm fine. Might faint from happiness, but I'm fine." "Well, in that case, I'll take Mara." Amanda went to take Mara back. Dick handed Mara to Amanda, but Mara held onto Dick's finger.

Mara started squirming, reaching for Dick. "Ok, maybe I won't. What did you do to this child?" "Become her dad, apparently. Gotta come up with some dad jokes." Dick chuckled as Amanda handed Mara back. "Please don't. We can barely handle you without them."

Mara yawned and closed her eyes. "I'm going to sit down." "Probably a good idea." Amanda directed him to her chair, smiling. "So, what's Wally going to think?" "What Wally going to think about what?"

Everyone looked up as said speedster walked in. "Hey, babe. They found a baby on patrol, and she's taken to me." "We had to sit him down before he fainted." Amanda joked. "Well, let's see the little girl that's won my boyfriend's heart. I don't want competition unless it's good competition."

Wally walked up and smiled. "Well, looks like I do have some good competition. What's her name?" "Mara. I think you'd like her." "If she makes you happy, I'm positive I'll love her." "Get a room!" "You know how many times I've heard that recently? Especially with that kidnapping case? We'd get one, except we never get any time in it."

The chief walked in to see Wally leaning against Amanda's desk, next to Dick, who had the baby in his arms. "So, Grayson the baby whisperer?" "More like Grayson the dad. She took to him right away, and won't let herself be taken away." Amanda laughed.

"I said I had to come up with some dad jokes." "Please no." "Why does everyone say that?" "We can barely handle you!" The department said unanimously.

Mara whimpered as she woke up. "Look what you did! Hey Mara." Dick playfully scowled. Mara hiccuped and reached for Dick again. Dick grabbed her finger and gently shushed her. "It's ok, Mara. Go back to sleep."

Mara buried her face in Dick's chest. "Ok, never held a baby before. What do I do?" "If you put her head on your chest, let her listen to your heartbeat, it might calm her down." James suggested. Dick followed, letting Mara's head rest over his heart. Mara calmed down, still holding onto his finger.

Dick sighed, thankful she wasn't going to insist on staying up. "How long until social services are supposed to be here?" "A day or two. Something came up with their files, and they have to make sure they've got everything before they can take another kid."

Dick looked up hopefully at Wally. Wally sighed, but smiled. "If it's ok with them, it's ok with me." "What are you two taking about now?" "Dick was wondering if we could watch over Mara until social services showed up."

"Can you two handle a baby? Waking up at two in the morning, the food needed?" The chief asked. "First off all, I'm always up at two. Second of all, I live with this guy over here. I can handle a baby for a few days." Dick smiled. "I suppose. If you're sure, I'm ok with it." Dick's grin turned into a Cheshire grin. "Looks like we're dads for a few days."