chapter four.

"Are you sure you wanna go through with this, Kiri?" you asked one more time, holding a small box of hair dye in your hands. "This thing is permanent, and you'll need to redye your roots whenever they start to show..."

     In front of you, your best friend nodded his head determinedly. "Of course! I'm saying goodbye to my old, pathetic self. Plus, I can count on you to help me with that kind of stuff." he said cheerfully. You saw his beaming grin through the mirror in front of you two. 

     You frowned at his words while combing through his black hair with a brush. "You aren't pathetic, but if this is what you want, I'll support it." you replied back, separating parts of his dark locks with clips.

     While you worked your magic, Kirishima secretly stole glances at your concentrated form through the mirror. Your tongue peeked through your lips, and your eyes crinkled at the edges. He's only known you for a little under a year, yet he considered you his favorite person; he hoped that the sentiment was reciprocated. He still doubted that he was an ideal best friend, but all of the smiles and laughs that you gave him lightened up his insecurity.

     After roughly twenty minutes, you stated that you were finished with the dying process. "And now, we have to put a plastic bag over your head!" you cheered unenthusiastically, doing jazz hands. You picked up the bag from the bathroom counter before carefully fitting it onto Kirishima's head. You stifled a laugh with an exaggerated cough when you looked in the mirror to see his reflection.

     The teenager yelped out in offense, staring at your amused face. "Hey, hey, don't laugh at me!" he pouted cutely.

     "I'm not, I'm not," you waved off with a betraying chuckle. "You just look... dorky?" By the even more offended look he wore, it seemed like your words didn't help him whatsoever.

     "Huh!? That's even worse!" Kirishima cried out indignantly. "That totally kills my 'goodbye to my old self' vibe!"

     You shook your head, another giggle escaping from you. "Not like that! I meant in a... I don't know... adorable way?" you explained, peeling off the red stained gloves from your hands. You tossed them in the trash can. You snickered again when you noticed that a harsh blush crept its way onto the male's face.

     "Y-You can't just say s-stuff like that so casually, [Name]!" he stuttered, waving his hands around. The plastic bag on his head rustled from his barbaric movements.

     "Don't move around so much. You'll ruin the dye." you pointed out with your signature lazy grin. Kirishima went wide eyed and immediately began apologizing because of him "ruining your handiwork", to which you brushed off.

     When the time came for him to rinse his hair, you sat patiently on his bed. The change in scenery didn't particularly bother you, but you were always curious on what Kirishima's house looked like. There was a poster of his favorite hero and idol, Crimson Riot, and another about being brave and not backing down from fear.

     A smile danced on your lips; your best friend has really changed in attitude from when you had first met him. Sure, he still got embarrassed easily by you and was amazingly fun to tease, but his heart grew passionately, and he went from being weak-willed to being able to help out those in need out of the sheer kindness he carried. You were happy that you stuck around with him long enough to see that transformation. 

     You were snapped out of your thoughts when his bedroom door opened. Kirishima stepped in with a flushed, shy face, a white towel on his shoulders, and a new hair color. You instantly jumped up from his bed to walk over to him. "It doesn't look that shabby! I think it suits you, Kiri." your fingers toyed with a strand of his bright, red hair that matched his eyes.

     He rubbed the back of his neck, a nervous tick of his. "Well, it's thanks to you that it turned out this good!" he beamed. "Thanks again, [Name]." his gaze grew soft and loving, and you couldn't help but stare at him with wonder.

     You blinked owlishly before turning your head abruptly away from his view. Your cheeks were burning up, and you were acutely aware of his perplexed eyes on you. "Don't worry about it." you murmured quietly.

     Kirishima stared at you for another few seconds, and then let out a loud laugh. "You're too modest sometimes, you know?" he commented, drying his hair with the towel that was hanging onto his shoulders. "You're really amazing, [Name]! I'm really glad that we're best friends." you shifted your eyes back onto him to meet his and his glowing, toothy grin.

     With your face still warm, you gave him an adoring smile. "Yeah. I am, too."

     Neither of you commented about the fact that the title "best friend" didn't sit well in your stomachs.