run

It's two in the morning and Macey McGuire is fast asleep. So is the rest of her little town. The peaceful silence is broken by a buzzing coming from Macey's side table. Suddenly awake, Macey looks at her phone in confusion as it's an alert from the government stating only one word. Run.

Macey, alarmed by this, gets up and packs clothes, food, water, a couple books, and any other basic necessities in a backpack. This wasn't the first time this happened. The first time ended in the world almost getting destroyed. Macey decided to not take any chances, and to just run. Fully clothed, she dashed out of the house as fast as her legs could take her. She ran into the forest behind her house, as the government had instructed if anything like this happened again. Macey got a little ways into the forest before she stopped and climbed the nearest tree. Whatever was happening, couldn't be good. Between losing sleep, and running for an hour and a half, Macey's tired. She ties her leg to the tree Hunger Games style, and falls asleep.

Macey was awoken once again, by a vibrating coming from next to her. She looked over and saw another girl sitting in the tree next to her humming a soothing tune. Macey screamed and tried to climb down before the girl caught her backpack and pulled her back up. The mysterious girl clamped a hand over Macey's mouth and pointed down. Following where she was pointing, Macey looked down and saw these......these.....monsters sitting the shade of the tree, just below them. The girl looked Macey in the eyes and said, "I will let you go if you promise to stay quiet and not freak out." Macey nodded her head and relaxed. She took a deep breath and quietly said, "Who are you and why are you helping me?" The girl stiffened and responded with, "Remember the last time this world was almost destroyed?" she paused waiting until Macey nodded in understanding, then continued, "I was one of the experiments meant to help with that. I wouldn't do it so I was thrown out and counted as defective. When these Dao came, I was pushed out of my home and forced to run. I saw you up in this tree and decided being alone would get us both killed. So I climbed the tree and waited for you to wake up. That's why I'm helping. And my name is Melody."

417 Words

Should there be a part 2?