07 | Sketchy

"I always forget how good this food is, I really need to tell my dad about this place." Nadia groaned around her sub dramatically, devouring as if she hadn't eaten in days.

Foggy smiled proudly, "Best meats in Hell's Kitchen."

They sat outside under the cover of an umbrella, eating together in (mostly) silence. Nadia was enjoying her sub more than she expected, she usually hated meatballs but this thing was to die for.

"We do appreciate any business you can throw our way though," Foggy admits.

"Oh for sure, but I have to be careful how I tell him about it."

Karen looks up, "What do you mean?"

"My dad is kind of paranoid and by kind of I mean he's like... very much paranoid." Nadia explained, "He doesn't even like that I used to leave in the middle of the night but it's not like he could stop me." She shrugged and took a drink of her water.

"It's nice he cares," Karen offered with a smile.

Nadia shrugs and shakes her head, "I dunno, he used to be really weird about everything. Especially the first time I fell asleep at Matt's, he almost killed me."

Matt was looking at something else, "Maybe because he's a good dad, kid."

"You don't get it, Matt. You haven't met him."

"I've heard him plenty enough to know he's a good guy."

She scoffs, "He's sketchy as fuck, Matt, you know that at the very least."

"I have to agree with you there."

Nadia really hates her dad's job, it's so sketchy and locked down it's weird. He never talks about what he does, just that he's going to be gone from home or that he's not gonna be back until late. She doesn't like being lied to.

"Does he do weird shit?" Foggy asks.

"Not really, he just... ok, I don't know what he does for a living but his hours are like–SO–weird I mean, sometimes he just... leaves. No explanation just 'I'm gonna be gone for a few days, do the dishes, bye, love you.' type of shit. Nothing, I don't even know where he works."

Karen frowns, "That is really sketchy."

"Exactly! Like I'd care what he does for a living. It must pay well though because we live in a nice part of Hell's Kitchen."

Nadia walked back home around sunset, she took her glasses off and enjoyed her regular sight once more. It was nice to be able to hang out with them. Nadia didn't see Foggy or Karen too often but when she did it was a treat, they were always nice.

Unlike Matt, they didn't make a point to remind her of her age. Nadia already knew how weird it might seem that she was hanging around three adults, but there was no one her age to meet. At least with public school she might meet other kids.

But she still dreaded the thought of going.

Nadia spent the next hour walking around the darkened central park, the Christmas lights were finally being taken down after ages. The snow always seemed to stay stuck to the ground for months after Christmas. But it was strangely warm.

Reaching a high of 65 degrees fahrenheit. Nadia liked the heat. Well–that was an exaggeration, she liked being warm–not hot. Which could be considered ironic considering she lives in Hell's Kitchen.