Chapter 6

The following morning, Hilda wakes up with bedhead, though there was no mirror to be found in the little clock to see her reflection. Alfur was sitting at his desk and writing, as usual. Hilda smiled, as it reminded her of Mum and her drawing table.

"Good morning, Alfur!"

"Hi, Hilda! You know, the other elves won't believe it at first, but we're headed back to the wilderness tomorrow, so they'll probably see-" when Alfur finally turns around and sees Hilda's hair, he stifles a laugh.

Hilda blinks.

"What?"

"How do I put this politely?" Alfur puts his 'hands' together, raising them to his lips, and taking a breath, "your hair... looks like Twig tried to style it."

"Politely!" Hilda exclaims, pouting. Alfur stands up, laughing again.

"I'm sorry," he wipes a little tear from his eyes and picks up a tiny hairbrush, "how'd you sleep?"

"I had anxiety related dreams," Hilda mutters, "one of those ones where all your teeth fall out?"

Alfur sits on the little felt armchair, scoffing.

"Oh! I get those all the time. I don't think the Marra do it, it's more from our own minds being stressed. Are you still scared about the whole spell situation?" He motions for Hilda to sit with him. She climbs onto his lap.

"Mmhm," Hilda admits, "you were right about the city looking more frightening when you're tiny."

Alfur doesn't say anything but gives her a look of understanding, then starts brushing her hair. It was quiet for a few minutes until Alfur started singing softly as he brushed.

"Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
Remember me to one who lives there,
For she was once a true love of mine..."

"Your voice is really nice," Hilda comments.

"Ah, you think so? Thank you! Bless your little heart, such a sweetie-" The girl could tell Alfur was beaming even though she couldn't see his face. She could hear him talking under his breath about such a sweet girl she was and it made her blush. It made her feel both warm and fuzzy... and a little embarrassed.

"What's the song about?" she asks.

"A man telling his former girlfriend to do a series of impossible things before he takes her back, I believe."

"What a jerk!"

"I know, right?" Alfur surveys his work, "I think there was a part where she gives him some impossible tasks to do in return."

"That isn't how love works," Hilda murmurs.

"It's not," Alfur agrees, "okay, I'm done! Do you want to see it?"

The elf leaves for a moment and returns with a little shard of glass. Hilda looks into it and gasps, smiling at the elf girl with the long blue French braids in her reflection.

"I love it."

By the next day, the four- Hilda, Twig, Alfur, and Raven- were all prepared and ready to go back into the wilderness.

"Thank you for doing this for me," Hilda says. She kept her hair in the braids.

"You helped me out enough times that I think I ought to do you a favor, too," Raven lets the elves onto his back.

Johanna gives a bag full of tiny cucumber sandwiches to Twig, who patiently holds it.

"Please, please be careful out there. I have faith in you, I know you've gotten lost before and came back home, but..."