Chapter 1

I clutched my younger brothers sleeve in a state of utter desperation and horror, as he sobbed into my soaked house kimono with his arms shaking violently as they gripped my sides. We had just received a letter that had come directly to our messenger at the gate, it was rolled up and a
bit crumpled around the corners. It had addressed our family name,“The Oh Family”. Seemingly harmless, but the same couldn’t be said for the contents.
It was a letter of recruitment, for the army. Calling for a man, yet all we have is a boy. A boy no more than 9; my younger brother, who was emotionally and mentally fragile no less. We can’t send Sai to war! Especially not against those wretched Huns, he will die many years too early!

My thoughts were brought back to reality when Sai suddenly jumped from my lap and ran out the door to one of our many courtyards, rushing in a mess of tears and unruly clothes to our shrine dedicated to our many ancestors. He rushed up the stairs, his slippers falling off and
rolling down the stairs before falling into our koi fish pond. I gasped before rushing to the pond and reaching over to swipe it out, I looked up and saw him draped over a tomb with tearsgushing out as his voice cried out in shrills.

I dropped the shoe and pushed my maids out of my way and made my way up to Sai, other servants were consoling him and trying to soothe him off the tomb so he doesn’t disrespect our ancestors further. I skipped over steps very unladylike and softly pulled him away as he frantically whispered prayers under his breath as his eyes stayed glued to the tombs. Then he
fell against my chest again and heavily breathed as he his small frame shook. His head snapped up and stared into my eyes with his watery and red ones.“Please,Fang please don't make me go. I don't want to go-I don't want to die!” His voice cracked as his body suddenly slumped against me, my heart stopped.“Sai?…Sai!”

My sides were instantly flanked by my
maids and they took him out of my arms and rushed towards our family medic’s court. It had only taken 2 maids to hold him because of how small and weightless he was, and that thought made my blood go cold.

Later that night

“-But mother-in-law! He CAN’T go to war! He is much too small and feminine to ever face against those monstrous Huns! Let one of the ser-” Her hand raised up and silenced me, I watched her carefully. She was a vile and unpredictable widow.“The letter said to send a man and Sai is the closest to that… What a pity…” Her face posed into a disgusting pursed look before her narrowed eyes looked at me as she shrugged.“Leave me, you're dismissed.” I stared at her back in complete disbelief.

Not realizing what she had said until my maids silently and softly grabbed my hand and led me out.

I accusingly looked at one of the maids in fury, “Why did you do that?! Nevermind, where is Sai! Lead me to him.” She stiffly nodded to my order and starting walking towards Mr. Fao’s court, our family doctor. I hurriedly followed her, my other maids nearly running to keep up with me.

They ran ahead and pushed aside the sliding door for me and I walked through to see Sai laying on a Futon. I ran and fell to my knees beside him, carefully brushing my knuckles against his cheek.

“He had fainted, nothing big. He just needs rest.” A voice said as I turned and looked behind me to see Mr. Fao’s hunched over body standing there with his observant black hues steadied on Sai. I nodded slightly and turned back. I slowly laid next to Sai and stared at him as sleep
started clouding my vision.

~~~
Done with chap 1. All the chapter are somewhat short but it does make a full story in the end. I already finished the entire thing but I will update periodically so I can work on another story during this.