7

Jahaan

We were on the yard chilling, sun was beaming hard as shit and the only view I had was an ugly ass building and some sweaty niggas playing basketball. I knew for a fact that Davon and Hendrix knew what I was trying to do, they just hadn't brought it up yet.

I watched as the ball went back and forth between a the guys, one of em took it up and shot it.  "3 NIGGASS" He screamed at the rest of them while they smacked their lips and waved him off. I sighed and closed my eyes.

"3 NIGGA" she shouted at me. I grabbed her and tackled her on to the floor. We were playing garbage can basketball and we managed to use way more paper than we should have. "Girl you think you doin something?" I laughed at her. "They don't call me Jaylah with the flickofda wrist for nun!" She made shooting movements with her hand causing me to shake my head. "Well they need to stop cause that was one time" I laughed more. "Jahaan, don't hate the playa hate the game baby" she walked up to me kissing me on the cheek. "aight whatever playa" I grabbed her by her waist pulling her close to me and kissed her neck. She quickly pushed me away. "nope nope nope" she waved her finger in my face. "Finish getting blown out" she started making those dumbass hand movements. "Girl go get the paper, we gon see who the player really is" I winked and she laughed.

"Nigga why you always smiling outta nowhere" I heard davon's voice, I opened my eyes and looked over to see Him with a big ass goofy grin, hearing Hendrix chuckle on the side of me. I chuckled and shook my head. "If you bitches MUST know, I got a girl waiting on the outside for me. Think about her a lot.." I looked down at my hands. "oh okay. Nigga I wish I had somebody waitin for me outside this bitch" he looked up at the sky. "Nigga maybe if you cut that shit out yo head you could get some bitches on ya dick" Hendrix told him causing me to burst into laughter. Davon snacked his lips and waved Hendrix off. "Nigga don't worry bout me, Ik how to get ladies. I use to dance for em a while ago" he popped his fake collar. "Yeah? Where they at now" I looked at him. " hell ion know. They ain't here" he shrugged. I shook my head and looked back up around the yard. I saw a old dude looking my way, when we locked eyes he looked away quickly.

"Yo who is that?" I pointed toward him.

They looked toward my finger and looked back toward each other giving funny looks.

"His name is locks" Davon said. "Why they call him that?" I looked back toward him to see looking into a book, I don't think he was actually reading it. "When he first got here he was a kid. Walked around with locks in his pockets Incase a nigga tried him. Guards supposedly never caught him or they just didn't give a fuck." Davon chuckled.

"You should stay away from him though man. Heard he's a weirdo." Hendrix added.

I'm pretty sure he knows something that could help me. He's spent some time in this bitch so I'm pretty sure he knows grounds better than Davon and Hendrix.

"Anyways what's to you niggas in basketball" I smirked. Hendrix laughed and dusted imaginary dust off his shoulder. "Man they use to call me bugs bunny, get put on ya ass if you want nigga" he looked me up and down causing me to go into a fit of laughter.

"well we'll see." I got up and grabbed a basketball throwing it to Hendrix. Davon stared at us both and shook his head. "Both of y'all niggas trash"

~later that day

We were back in common and that old nigga was still staring at me. I decided I wanted to see wassup. I got up to walk over to him and as soon as he noticed he looked down in his book like he hadn't been staring in the first place. I pulled up a chair and sat in front of him.

"What you readin?" I tilted my head to see the cover of the book but I couldn't really tell the words.

"Peace is Every step by Thic Nhat Hanh" he said not looking up. "What's it about, some spiritual stuff"

"Nah." He glanced at me and back down. I sighed. "So any particular reason why you been staring at me?" I leaned forward awaiting his response. he looked at me with a confused look. "Ion know what you talking bout man." I was starting to get annoyed, I hated liars. "Nigga I'm not dumb. Answer the question" I told him now with a straight face. He closed his book and sat it on the nearest table."I see the way you stare them guards down. The entrances and exits. If you think you gettin outta here you got another thing coming" he said matter of factly. "Why you doubting me? You don't know me." I looked him up and down. I turned around to see davon and Hendrix giving me weird looks, probably wondering why I was talking to this nigga. I turned back to him and he was smirking. He picked up his book and opened it back to the page he was reading and I got up to walk away. He looked up at me one last time & answered my question.

"Because I tried already Jahaan" he stared at me with a blank expression, got up and left the room.