Chapter 4

"And this is all based on Freuds' psychoanalysis theories. We'll continue to next chapter about Skinner and his dogs in the next lecture. Has everyone signed the register?" Mrs Marconi asks, holding up the red folder.

There are only four of us in the class, but she asks every time.

It's been a few months since I first arrived in Burgess. My classes are interesting. So far my modules for first semester are Intro to Psychology, Journalism 1, English 1A, Intercultural Communications, and Publishing.

It's interesting, and we learn a lot of different things. The main point of the extra modules is to 'broaden our thought processes'.

I silently pack my bag before taking out my phone and earphones. I'm not really that much of a socialite. I put my earphones in to block out the noises of the outside world as I make my way back to the Bennett's.

Just as I walk out the door of reception I'm greeted with an icy breeze. It feels amazing. I've always loved winter.

I'm greeted with green and red decorations for the coming festive season. It's strange to see so many decorations up for the holidays.

When it comes to Halloween there are rarely any decorations up back home, but here everyone decorates their houses and puts together costumes and spooky foods. Let alone the approaching Christmas festive season.

There are lights strung up around almost every house in town. Plastic reindeer pulling sparkling sleighs, even black boots decorating the tops of chimneys. It's like walking into a completely different world.

As I turn the corner, it suddenly feels like the temperature drops even lower. Zipping my jacket to ensure I don't get sick, I turn my head upwards towards the sky. Eyes closed, I take a deep breath and sigh happily.

Who knew I'd get used to the town so quickly?

Closing the door behind me, I walk to the living room to tell everyone I'm back before heading to my room.

I drop onto my bed with a sigh. Who knew having three hours of class a day would take so much out of you? I was never this tired in High School.

I sit up at the sound of a knock at the door.

"Hey Rose," Emily smiles as she opens the door "dinner's going to take a while, Sophie wanted to help out and the food got a little burnt while we made the dessert. On the plus side, pizza for dinner! Yay!"

"No problem," I smile "I have a few things to read through for varsity anyway."

"Great! What would you like on your pizza?" Emily moves aside as Sophie bolts into the room and jumps on me.

"Hey Sophe's!" I laugh "So, how'd the dessert turn out?"

"Yummy!!" She exclaims, hugging me.

"Sounds amazing, can't wait to taste it." I hug her and turn back to Emily "maybe the barbecue chicken?"

"Barbecue chicken, got it!" Emily winks at me and picks Sophie up "Come on Sophe's, Rose has some stuff to do for school."

"Bye." I wave to Sophie as she's carried out of the room.

*Time Lapse to the next day*

I wake up to the sound of Jamie running through the house yelling.

I groggily reach for my phone.

06:38

What could possibly be so important that he's yelling around the house this early in the morning? My alarm hasn't even gone off yet.

I feel the fluffy carpet as I hop out of bed and walk out of my room.

"What's going on?" I cover my mouth as I yawn.

"SNOW DAY!!!!!!" Jamie yells, tripping down the stairs while shoving his feet into his boots.

"Snow day?" I ask.

I stand there confused for a few seconds until it suddenly clicks.

Snow Day!?

That means there's snow!!

I run into my room and fall over my own feet as I scramble to my bay window.

Sure enough, there's a white blanket covering the garden and streets as far as the eye can see.

Best of all. It looks like there's much more to come!!

I clamber to my cupboard, scrummaging for my black jeans, black t-shirt and blue sweater before making a b-line for the bathroom.

I shower and wash my hair so quickly, I feel like the flash, the water barely even clings to me!

In less than ten minutes I've showered, washed and dried my hair, brushed my teeth, gotten dressed, and grabbed a random pair of socks and my trusty blue sneakers.

Jumping down the stairs two stairs at a time I burst through the front door and into the scene I've been dreaming of my entire life.

There's snow everywhere.

Snowflakes falling by the bucket.

I step out from the covered porch and feel the snowflakes melt as they touch me.

My face feels chilled as a few land on my cheeks and eyelashes. Giving my vision a somewhat white edge.

I can't believe it.

It's actually snowing!!

I'm so happy I could cry!

I spin in circles, catching snowflakes in my hair as I spin.

My foot suddenly slips on the icy driveway and I fall flat on my backside in the snowfall.

It takes me a second to register what happened, but once I do I flop onto my back and start making my first snow angel.

I jump up to see my work. Not as good as the ones you see in the movies, but I think it's a pretty good first attempt if I do say so myself!

I feel something hard and icy hit my right shoulder and fall. What was that?

I turn to see Jamie and his friends all looking at me from behind carefully constructed snow forts.

"Jamie Bennet. You did not just throw a snowball at me!" I yell, smiling ear to ear.

Jamie giggles as his friends "ooo" at him as though he were in trouble.

"It is so on!" I stoop down, grabbing a handful of snow and throwing it at him. Unfortunately my aim is terrible, so I end up hitting the wall of his fort.

They all burst out laughing and suddenly there are snowballs flying everywhere.

I do everything I can to avoid them, but end up covered in snow. There's a tree next to their forts, where they will be left exposed. I run for it and scoop up more snow as I go. I land a hit to Jamie's chest, and am met with an onslaught of snowballs from both him and his friends.

"This is so not fair!" I laugh, snow covering me head to toe.

I scoop up more snow as I hear a deep laugh and throw it at Jamie. Instead of hitting him, my snowball veers to the left and hits someone in the back of the head.

The kids all freeze and take a sharp breath in.

The person I hit has shining white hair and is wearing a blue hoodie with little frost-like patterns on it. They're wearing brown jeans ripped at the bottom and are.. Barefoot!?

"She hit Jack!" Pippa exclaims in shock.