Medical problems

Medical problems can range from very minor to life-threatening emergencies. Rescuers trained in first aid must be prepared to respond appropriately.

BREATHING PROBLEMS

Breathing problems can arise from underlying lung diseases such as asthma or emphysema, as well as from illnesses such as pneumonia. Be aware that the other body system problems such as heart attack, stroke, seizure, or anxiety can all result in breathing issues as well.

Signs of a breathing problem include fast or shallow breathing, noisy breathing, producing unusual sounds, or the inability to talk due to breathlessness. Persons with asthma often make a musical sound when breathing, which can be heard as wheezing. Severe allergic reactions can also cause wheezing. High-pitched sounds during inhalation may suggest a partial blockage of the upper airway.

Persons who have asthma or chronic lung disease are generally familiar on how to use their breathing medications. Common medications include albuterol and atrovent inhalers. The use of a spacer (a tube attached to the inhaler that holds the medication until the person breathes it in) can improve the effect of these medications. A person in severe distress may be unable to properly use their inhaler. Call 911 if the person appears in significant distress.

Technique for using an inhaler:

Figure 4

Shake the inhaler canister.Place the opening of the inhaler into the spacer if available.Instruct the person to fully exhale.Place the spacer or inhaler into their mouth.Simultaneously have the person inhale slowly and deeply while pressing down on the top of the inhaler canister.Instruct the person to hold their breath for up to 10 seconds if possible.Be prepared to repeat if respiratory problems persist.Stay with the person until the symptoms improve or until emergency response arrives.

Stay with the person until the symptoms improve or until emergency response arrives

Figure 5

ALLERGIC REACTIONS

Allergic reactions can arise from insect stings, from adverse reaction to foods and medications, or from environmental triggers such as pollens, dust, or chemical fumes. Bee, wasp, or hornet stings can produce rapid and potentially fatal reactions while common food triggers include nuts, eggs, and fruits. Symptoms may be mild, such as itching and hives, or severe causing life-threatening swelling of the airway, lips, and tongue.

Epinephrine can be a life-saving medication and should be given at the first sign of a severe allergic reaction. Commercially available epinephrine pens, such as EpiPen®, are simple to use.