•Arthur Shelby•

You've never really understood how you became involved with the Peaky Blinders, but just like magnets, you seemed to be uncontrollably attracted to them and them to you. One of the Shelby boys in particular has always had a special place in your heart, a soft spot that you hated more often than not, Arthur. The man seems to radiate something irresistible to you, a drug that you are completely and utterly addicted to.

Maybe it's just two broken soles trying to find a whole in each other. The war had broken Arthur Shelby, it had taken all that he had to offer and left a ghost in it's place. The war had broken you too, it had shown you the worst that the human race had to offer, it had stripped you of your family and everything that you had loved, leaving you alone in a world that seemed far too big for a small girl like yourself to handle alone. However, with Arthur all of that changes, the world does not seem so big, you feel like you can conquer it all with him. Maybe you will.

It was the late nights spent comforting him when he had retreated so far into the depths of his own sorrow and heartache that made you fall for him, the time spent slowly putting his broken pieces back together. You don't know when you and Arthur became a thing, it's never been categorically stated, but the both of you know that you share a bond like no other. The other Shelby boys are unaware of all these little facts, but that's okay, you're both still figuring out what you mean to each other anyways.

You strut down the streets of Small Heath, your pace quick. To anyone watching you are the picture of silent power and grace, but under your calm surface you are filled with panic and worry. It's Thursday night, tonight's the night that you and Arthur usually have dinner at your house. He hasn't shown up. You're also aware that Thursday night is fight night down at the local boxing club, and that can only mean trouble if Arthur is where you think he is.

You burst through the doors to the boxing club, almost knocking them off their ancient hinges, your eyes scan the crowds of people as you weave in and out of the maze of bodies. The place is hot and stinks of sweat, every window in the place is open and yet, even while you're moving, the large place feels airless, a locked stone box. The heat is building, closing in on you, making you feel as if you're breathing through a mask, maybe it's your anxiety, but you can't get enough oxygen into your lungs, feeling sick rise up from your churning stomach it takes all the strength you have not to bend over and spill the contents of your lunch onto the concrete floor.

You have to find him before he creates a whole world of trouble for himself.

That's what keeps you moving, keeps you shoving through the people who have crowded around the boxing ring in the centre of the club. You shove past a large man who turns to you in anger, "watch what you're fucking doing!" He bellows but his words fall on deaf ears, "fuck off" you snarl, the words warning enough to the man who shakes his head and turns to talk to his friends again.

You're finally reaching the front of the crowd when your eyes fall on a sight that confirms your worst fears. Arthur is in the ring battered and bruised but nowhere close to the state of the young man he is fighting, the boy can barely stand up as he falls victim to the barrage of punches being thrown at him. You push forward until you're at the edge of the ring, the boy is swaying, struggling to keep his feet underneath him, "Arthur!" You scream at the top of your lungs, a feeble attempt at gaining his attention over the roaring of the crowd. Your eyes dart about for the other Shelby boys who are bound to be somewhere, your eyes fall upon Tommy and John watching the massacre from the other side of the ring- it makes your blood boil. How can they just stand there and watch this happen?

The young man in the ring falls to the floor like a sack of potatoes, but still Arthur continues to pummel him. You have to do something.

Before you can even think you're climbing through the ropes into the ring, ignoring the voices that erupt in protest at your actions. You grab onto Arthur in an attempt to stop him, your hands desperately gripping his shoulders as your pull with all your might. Arthur turns to you, his eyes wild- an inhuman rage burning within them, "Arthur that's enough!" You yell, he does not recognise you, you can only see a cold killer in front of you. Arthur's arm pulls back ready to hit you, you freeze in your spot, your body unable to move despite the imminent danger you are in. You know this is not Arthur, this not the man you know, it is the horrors of the trenches, the person he was made into, the creature that still lurks within the darkest places of his mind.

"Go on then" you whisper, "if this is what will make it better then go ahead". Arthur freezes, his hand still raised ready to hit you, but he cannot do it, he is battling within himself to gain control over the PTSD and anger that rages within him. You stare right into his eyes, letting him know that you are here with him, that you will protect him should he need it. A shuddering breath breaks past his lips as he collapses to his knees in front of you, the crowd has gone silent in anticipation, watching the encounter unfold in front of their eyes.

You crouch down so you're at Arthur's level, your hands moving to cup his soddened cheeks, "I'm here, you are safe" you console him. His eyes move to meet yours, full of sorrow and hatred, "I could have killed you" he croaks as tears spill from those eyes you have fallen in love with, you wipe them away with your thumbs, "but you didn't and that's all that matters" your voice is gentle and understanding and you can see that your words bring some kind of comfort to him as his breathing eases slightly.

In that moment it's like you're the only two people on the planet, you do not care about the crowds of people who stand watching you. In fact, it gives you courage. You bring your lips to Arthur's in a tender and passionate kiss, it shocks him for a moment, before he begins to kiss you back, holding you close to him. When you finally pull away you cannot help but smile at him, his eyes are shining bright in a way that you have never seen before. "I love you" you whisper, bringing a beaming smile to Arthur's face, "I love you too Y/N".

The crowd begins to cheer, and when you glance over your shoulder to the Shelby brothers, they both wear approving smiles.