Meeting

Y/N POV

Shrapnel. Bandages. Death. No more was the smell of dinner, Ma Ma's delicate flowers or the hay bales encompassing of my life. Rather, the screams of the shell-shocked, the staining of blood on my apron and the heavy stench of grief. In writing, France was a most beautiful place, a heavenly place. Heaven had been invaded by hell, and the devil's grasp is suffocating. My name is Y/N L/N of the British Voluntary Aid Detachment and it was in this nightmare, that I met my angel.

"Sister Y/N we need you now!" I hear one of the nurses yell to me as yet another poor young boy is carried in by one of his war brothers. I quickly make my way to the boy as he is placed on one of our very last beds, none of us expected to ever reach full capacity. I scan the boy over, noting multiple head wounds, broken fingers and lack of consciousness, yet he's still breathing. "What happened?" I ask the man who carried him in, already tending to his head wound with salt water, alcohol and bandages, and his fingers with a splint. "T-tunnel collapse" the man struggles to get out, obviously distressed by the sight in front of him. "His name?" Just as I ask this question, the boy begins to shake and convulse. "Quickly turn him on his side" I order my fellow nurses as I begin to feel for and count his pulse. "His name?!" I ask the man once more, finally looking up from my patient to meet the most beautiful blue eyes. For the briefest moment, amidst the anguish and chaos, was tranquillity. The blue-eyed soldier stares at me. I stare back. Silence. Beauty. Peace. As quickly as this moment occurred, it was torn away from me, interrupted by a spluttery cough from the injured boy. Hastily, I grab a bucket from underneath the bed and direct the patients cough, and now, vomit into the container. Relieved, I allow the boy to finish before settling him into the bed looking into his drowsy eyes, "Rest now hey? Everything's going to be OK?". I dismiss the other nurses and they return to their duties. I look to the roof and sigh, closing my eyes, and overwhelming feeling of hope and thankfulness fills me. Just keep them alive. That's all we need to do. Alive.

"His name is John Shelby. He's my little brother." I hear the man speak. I turn back to him. Why did such a beautiful creature like himself be dragged into such an ugly war. "Thank you" I whisper, suddenly shy in front of him. I write his name on down on the chalkboard at the end of his bed. "We will monitor him for a couple of days to check if any permanent injuries have been sustained but I promise you, you'll have your brother back soon." I smile at the soldier, he smiles back. I look down, knowing that I will dream over that smile tonight. "Oh you don't think you could keep him for a little bit? We could finally have some peace and quiet down there?" He jokes, an entrancing look in his eyes. I laugh, a rare noise to be heard during our current situation. "Are they reading you comedy plays down there or something eh?" I joke back. He chuckles, rolling his eyes. "I-" "Sergeant Major we've gotten past the clay" another tunneller runs in, covered in mud, a frantic look in his eyes. The blue-eyed man turns to the soldier and sighs, nodding before turning back to me. "Thank you Sister...?" "Y/N" I fill in for him. "Y/N" He repeats, almost testing how the word feels on his tongue. "Tommy now!" the other soldier states in an urge to speed things up. Our eyes meet for one last time. He politely nods to me, I nod back. My eyes follow him as he leaves the medical tent, seemingly frozen in place. "Tommy Shelby huh?" I whisper to myself, an unfamiliar feeling filling my stomach.

My day dream was interrupted by Rosalie, my best friend and fellow nurse, standing where Tommy just stood, clearly smiling with giddiness. "Now who was that gorgeous soldier looking at you like you were the first sunset he's ever seen?" A cheeky smirk plagues her cute pale face, pieces of her ginger hair falling out of it's bun. "Come off it now Ro, he was just being nice. Besides who knows if he'll ever be back", I try to dispute, turning away to hide my blushing cheeks. "Well I'm placing my bets now. Love at first sight and all that you-know! If you two get married, you're naming your first child after me." That bloody smirk on her face. She spits on her hand and sticks it out to me. "Fine...to hell with it" I sign my fate with one statement before matching her gesture, finally confirming her handshake.

That Rosalie, always seemed to be one step ahead.