Bandages and Blushes

Y/N's POV

Tommy had been sleeping for nearly two days now. My heart jumps to my throat every time I walk past. I fear that the sleep he is receiving now shall be the only slice of peace he may experience for years to come. I selfishly couldn't help but to prolong my time with Tommy. A typical 5 minute vital check and bandage replacement turned into more of a 15 minute endeavour, filled with stolen stares and gentle touches. My fingers danced over his skin, like a water kipper over a pond, fragile movements as to not break the surface below. I'd whisper to him, let him know I was there. Perhaps I could lead him to sweeter dreams.

It seems my emotional brain had conquered my rational one at the point for I find myself counting every minute Tommy spends in slumber. My lower lip partly swollen, painted with a rubier shade of red from my insistent nervous biting. The mechanisms of my pocket-watch as worn as the bottom of my shoes, scratched and strained from my obsessive need to watch time pass. It seems that my anxieties resonated off me like the sound of the air-raid sirens bellowing across the fields. Either that or Rosaline hunts down panic like a bloodhound to a body. She had been watching me for the past few hours now, observing my distressed ticks and decided she had seen enough. "Y/N," she spoke gently, her hand in mine, "he's going to be ok hon, trust me. He's a soldier and a strong one at that. What he does not need right now is you working yourself up over him." We both knew she was right, she was always right when it came to this kind of stuff. "I'm sorry Ro, I only just got him back I can't bear the thought of him leaving now" I blurt out, heart thinking before my head. "Come on, go have a rest on the hill, you've been working all through the night and into the morning. I'll watch over him hey?" I listen to her request, my body aching, it celebrates the idea of a break. I take a deep breathe, closing my eyes, listening to reason. I give her a small nod and in return she smiles wide and gives my hand one last squeeze. I head towards my hill, walking past the unconscious Thomas on my way. I pause just as I am about to leave the tent, closing my eyes in frustration at myself. Just walk out Y/N he'll be fine. Come on just take another step. Just go outside. He'll be in the exact same spot as when you left. Just go Y/N...Fucking hell. I seem not in control of my feet as I walk towards Tommy's bed. Once I get there my eyes trace him over, not believing the beauty which lay before me. I gently place my hand on top of his and whisper to him, "Hey Tom. I'm still here don't you worry. I'm just going up the hill for a little. Once you're up and about I'll show you hey? That sounds nice doesn't it? Now you wake up soon hey and I'll be right here." I lean over, placing a light kiss on his forehead. "Come on Tommy, please wake up." I force my feet to walk away and lead me outside the tent. My lips can't decide which one I crave more right now, a cigarette or Thomas Shelby.

Tommy's POV

Ringing. A mad fucking ringing in my ears that's all I can hear. It feels like my blood has been replaced with cement, the heaviest of weights flowing through my veins. The ringing has turned into muffled voices and sounds, my eyelids and muscles still stuck in unconsciousness. My senses seem to be awakening alongside me as the smell of antiseptic now flooded my nose. I try to make sense of what I'm hearing, ignoring the ocean-like muffling filtering my eardrums. "...up the hill...come on Tommy" I hear a light female voice say. I feel a warmth leave my hand, perhaps she had been holding it. My heart yells to me, Y/N, it speaks. It had to be her with me. With all my might I try to reach my hand out, to move my lips, to open my eyes. Please come back. With her distraction gone, the pain which rippled through my body finally came to my attention. Fucking hell. I try to think back to what had occurred before I slept, only receiving flashing segments of memory. Both the enemy's and our own tunnel had become one and chaos had ensued, next thing I was in this bed staring at Y/N angelic face as the nurses began their work, and finally, screaming in pain as my pretty girl removed the bullet and stitched me up. I had to wake up for her, I need to know if she is ok. It took me another 10 minutes to open my eyes, another 5 to speak. Seeing as I had just woken up, various different nurses had looked over me and to each of them I said, "Please I need to see Y/N". It wasn't until the one who I had seen standing with Y/N the first time I met her came to me. Rosaline, I believe Y/N told me her name was. She listened and she followed. "Right away Mr Shelby." I breathe in, nervous excitement swelling over me. Tommy Shelby, I said to myself, you haven't been this nervous over a girl since giving one a squashed, half-dead flower when you were 7 years old. I will act calm and collected and pray the blush on my cheeks does not give me away.