The Letters

Y/N POV

"Mail! Group up ladies it's mail day!" I hear a few of the nurses cheer. Right now, we'll take any chance to celebrate. I quickly finish cleaning up my metal equipment as Rosalie grabs my hand, eagerly pulling me towards the crowd of nurses surrounding the Lieutenant. As the mail begins to be handed out I hear my surname "L/N". I look to Rosalie excited, before we take the envelopes and heading back to Ro and I's little spot just outside of the tent, upon a hill, overlooking a wonderful display of flora and fauna. I place where one could convince themselves that there was no war.

"Who have you got Ro?", I ask, following the tradition we have set for ourselves. "One from Mum and one from my sister", she replies, trying to hide the sadness in her voice. "Still none from Edward?" I ask. We've not heard from her lover for a few weeks now. "No...He'll be ok. I've only heard that things are going well in that part of the front". We both know she's trying to maintain hope. I hug her. She hugs back. "Well what have you got?", she asks me, trying to hide the fact that she's wiping a tear from her eye. I look at my envelopes, flicking through them, stating who they're from as I go. "Ma Ma, Gran and...one I don't recognise." She looks at me curiously, scooting closer to me so she can see for herself. "Well. Open it up then!". Excitedly we open the envelope and I begin to read it aloud.

Dear Sister Y/N,

To begin with, I would like to say that I have no bloody idea if this will reach you or not but within this war there is no time for second chances. That being said this is both a thank you letter and, if you would allow it, a personal letter.

Firstly, I would like to thank you wholeheartedly for treating my brother, John. He has caused nothing but a ruckus down here and I am disappointed that you couldn't have accidentally whacked him on the head to keep him in bed for longer. And yes, before you say it, I did get that from one of the comedy plays. Despite this, both myself and my two brothers, Arthur and John, would like to say Thank You.

Now onto the bit of the letter I am worried to write.I would like to know if you would be willing to conduct some letter correspondence with me whilst we are stuck out here. I believe that you would like someone to talk to and I need a pretty girl to dream of. Just use the return address on the envelope and use the name 'Thomas Shelby'.

Looking forward to hearing from you pretty girl,

Sincerely,

Tommy Shelby.

I stare at the note shocked. I re-read the letter in disbelief. Surely it couldn't be from that beautiful blue-eyed soldier. I scoff, shaking my head. "No way...", I mutter. "Y/N bloody L/N what did I tell you!!", Rosalie yells attracted some unusual looks from the older nurses. "Shh! Ro shut up", I laugh at her, embarrassed. "He's so in love with you I told you. 'Pretty Girl' that is the cutest thing I've ever heard!" she beams, smiling ear to ear. I sit there, blushing, biting my lip to contain my smile. "Well, I think we've got a letter to write'' I say, giving her the biggest smile to form on my face since the war started.

Oh boy, here we go mister Tommy Shelby.

Tommy's POV

"Tommy we've got mail" I hear Arthur grunt out with his cigarette still stuck between his teeth. John, Arthur and I sit in our small bunks ready pass out due to pure exhaustion. "Whose it from then eh?". John yanks the letters out of Arthur's hand, restlessly needing to know who exactly sent the mail. "Aunt Pol, our Ada and one from the medical base up top-" Now it's my turn to yank the letter from John's hands, hastily walking to sit over on my bunk. "Fuckin' hell Tommy what is it? A message from God?" John laughs. Arthur joins in, "Now now John-Boy, I reckon our Tommy here has got a letter from that fit little nurse he's got his beady little eyes on hey?". I ignore them, opening the letter to be greeted with delicate cursive writing and the smell of floral perfume. I take a moment to breath it in, preparing myself for what I am about to read.

Dear Tommy Shelby,

It is with great pleasure that I tell you your letter arrived perfectly well and directly into my hands. Whilst perhaps I must take you for some writing lessons after this to fix your handwriting I found your letter most pleasant.

Regarding your brother John, I am quite pleased that not only is he in good health, he is also far more obnoxious than before. Therefore, my plan has succeeded and my experimental medicine is working. Let's keep that a secret between us hey? It is my job to keep you men safe and to keep my promises. I never break my promises.

Regarding your proposition of personal correspondence, simply, I look forward to it. Now you, pretty boy, have caused quite a stir with the old nurses who wish to steal you from me. Unless you're into that of course I could easily give them your name.

Write to me soon and tell me all about those brothers of yours.

Sincerely,

Y/N L/N

I hold the letter close to my chest and close my eyes. Perhaps something good will come from this war after all.